cool things on the beach

KeeperOfTheZoo

The kids and I hit the beach here in Florida today and had a blast finding cool stuff.

We found tons of Florida fighting conchs, lots of hermits, mangrove pods, some neat snails, starfish, an amazing colored crab and the following two things.

The pale pink/white colored one was kinda slick. I was about 5" or so around. Under the water its surface was like an opal, just gorgeous. Under it was a big hairy looking hermit crab!

The other thing is very orange and sponge like. It was not attached to the big shell, we were holding it with it.

Any ideas?

post-1140-12700890477149_thumb.jpg

post-1140-12700890663889_thumb.jpg

post-1140-12700890770338_thumb.jpg

Here are a few othere random critters. The crab was so much prettier in person, it was purple, yellow, orange and more. So pretty! The body was about the size of my fist.

Most everything was let loose at the end of the day. I'm gonna try to get the conchs and some of the snails & crabs home.

post-1140-12700897733579_thumb.jpg

post-1140-12700897844162_thumb.jpg

post-1140-12700898088147_thumb.jpg

Lol! This haul is mine. :)

We road tripped it so I'm haulin the hardier stuff in a cooler. Hope they make it.

The pale pink thing was solid, no inflation. Kinda rubbery. It was so neat looking/feeling. Wish I knew what it was.

How long is the drive?

I'm by no means an expert, but if it were me, I would find a local LFS and maybe buy a jug and some premix SW, and give the bucket you're hauling back a partial water change daily. Cost you 15$ or so to keep them in a fresh mix?

LIZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How are you?? Where in Florida are you as I have lived there for a while and know a few in South Beach, Miami area and Fort Lauderdale....your sump is still awaiting you and I am glad to see everything is OK....love to all the kiddos and bring them with you when you pick up !!

Here are a few othere random critters. The crab was so much prettier in person, it was purple, yellow, orange and more. So pretty! The body was about the size of my fist.

Most everything was let loose at the end of the day. I'm gonna try to get the conchs and some of the snails & crabs home.

Now I know where my vendor gets all his stuff!!! :) I hope you can get that sponge back A-OK!!

Man, I don't want to come home. It's so pretty here and the beach... oh man... why don't I live on a beach???

I'm staying in Spring Hill, we went down to Madeira Beach across Tampa Bay. I think we'll hit the beach again today.

Laura, I could hook ya up with a serious number of conchs, I bet my kids would work cheap (free!). :)

just use sea water in the cooler and use one of those filters made for turtle tanks and throw carbon in there. The load should be good for a few days in that mix. They key is not to be greedy. Take a few choice pieces and leave the rest. And your success rate for transport will climb.

Archived