MUSSEL CLUSTER

theresa

i also have a few growing on the rocks as i have seen. also, does anyone have barnacles? i wanted to bring some home from the coast a few weeks back but decided against it. you can buy them online as well -live barnacles- but i was wondering if they would grow out of control like you would see on the sea wall in huge clusters. they look aawesome, but i dunno if it would be worth it if they completely take over the tank..

Hi there,

this is my first post here and I'm from the UK so I hope you dont mind me registering. This just seemed like a very, very good sw board smile.gif!

I keep what looks to me to a very similar species of mussel here but in coldwater/temperate conditions. Some I've got from the beach, some from the local supermarket (to use as pufferfish food). This batch seems ok so far (4mths) but the water temperature has been way below tropical reef temps - 60F max. I've tried collecting and keeping them in the summer and lost them due to either high temp or inadiquate filtration.

These are in a tiny hex 20l coldwater native marine tank in an outhouse with an overhead trickle filter and with very few inhabitants - just several Actinia equina anemone's. No fish. I'm hoping that the mussels get enough sustanance from the frozen food I feed to the 'nems.

I've also tried tropical oysters in m my 150l reef, these lasted six months for no obvious reason apart from feeding. These has access to coral food but I wonder if it was enough. If they were Mediterranian sp then there may have been heat stress too.

have had some trop mussels growing on my LR for years - they seem to do OK but are tiny.

The point on possibly introducing a possibly invasive species is a valid one - the zebra mussel is a case in point.

Interesting thread...wave.gif

Haha wayneb are you British?

No, but was stationed near Oxford for 4 years when I was young, stupid, and separated. Imagine my shock when a young lady asked me to "knock her up in the morning" and my dissapointment when I found out she meant for me to contact/call her. LOL