MUSSEL CLUSTER

theresa

Thanks for bitting Ric, I read the article below and was wondering what anyone had to say about them

Mussels are bivalves, and are a very important form of marine life. They feed by filtering water through their shells. As the water is pulled into their shells, it is circulated through their systems and removes dissolved organics from your aquarium's water.

This helps to remove all types of undesirable toxins from your water as well, including ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.Mussels will attach themselves to your live rock and act as the natural filters that they are, benefitting your aquarium by filtering up to 40 gallons of water per day! That's a LOT of water for these little critters to clean!

The oceans of the world have a natural balance of marine animals that each have a specific job to execute. All the different forms of marine life, acting together, create a perfect environment.In a closed system, like your fish tank, it is very important to attempt to replicate the natural oceans. The most successful way to go about this is by adding as many of the different forms of marine life to do their natural jobs in keeping the water clean and "healthy". For example, the macroalgae filters the water by absorbing water and removing toxins such as nitrate from your water. Crustaceans such as crabs and shrimp consume uneaten food, fish waste, unwanted nuisance algae and any die off that may occur in the aquarium. Snails will glide across the glass and ive rock and remove unwanted nuisance algae as well. Bivalves have their own job and do it very well.

Not only are bivalves important as a part of your clean up crew, but they are a beautiful addition to your aquarium and make your tank look much more like the natural seas of the world. The picture you see above is a close up shot of a small cluster of mussels.

Mussels are also a food source for many fish (such as parrotfish) that consume mollusks

I haven't seen any tanks with mussels that I am aware of. I confess I thought mussels were freshwater. I have used cleaner clams, conchs, all kinds of snails and crabs, and starfish in an effort to keep my tank clean. I haven't tried mussels tho. Sounds like they would work well in a refugium or possibly a sump. BTW, the picture you reffered to is not there.

Are mussels like clams,scallops?

Mike, the short answer is yes. I would tend to belive my clen up crew would make a "happy meal" out of them. If I was to use them I would do like Ric suggest and use them in a sump. I would do the same thing with scallops (red 'tentacle' might get nipped at) I'm sure someone will correct me if I have given wrong information. Be gentle. :)

I have a few hitchhiker mussels growing on some rocks. Popped-up out of nowhere.

I've seen how they aqua-farm mussels in New Zealand. The grow these huge clusters that hang from poles/rods that are suspended at the water surface.

Would love to try out those green lipped mussels if I knew where to find them.

Central Market? I've wondered how some of the live clams would do but felt awkward just asking for just 1 to try it out. Has anybody out there tried them? I too have found an occasional one on the backsides of rock I've moved around.

we had them in my high school class. the teacher bought six, dumped them in her tank in the class room. although it had no heater, just a small sponge filter. it was just a thing of salt water and sand that sat there for 6 months. they lasted the entire semester from what i remember.

I would stay clear of the blue mussels they are cold water, kinda like people who put periwinkles in there tropical tank it dramtically shortens there life if they last at all. I have seen the green mussels up for sale online. I'm originally from Maine and I can tell you the blue ones grow like weeds so if you find the green ones I'd keep them in the sump.

I have seen on ebay oyster clusters wich are supposed to be in the sump:

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-oyster-clusters-aquarium-fish-tank-filter-reef-safe_W0QQitemZ200454441606QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2eac040a86

I however am not advertising for them this is purely an example

I would stay clear of the blue mussels they are cold water, kinda like people who put periwinkles in there tropical tank it dramtically shortens there life if they last at all. I have seen the green mussels up for sale online. I'm originally from Maine and I can tell you the blue ones grow like weeds so if you find the green ones I'd keep them in the sump.

I have seen on ebay oyster clusters wich are supposed to be in the sump:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2eac040a86

I however am not advertising for them this is purely an example

i also be careful with the freshones at least because in many places they are illegal. growing like weeds is an understatement. more like a pandemic is more like it. we spent a week studying the impact non native bivalves have on american ecosystems and how far across the country they have spread.