What is that thing?

Salt Dreams

Can anyone tell me what this is...I seen three of them in a rock and one stretches out his worm like tongue or tentacle thingy and tastes my acan. The other two licks the rocks. Are they good or bad Please advise its the best picsdoh.gif I have since they usually only come out at night...

post-1258-12699178939133_thumb.jpg

post-1258-12699183730938_thumb.jpg

If it is just one or two very thin kinda clear 'tentacles' that wave about, then its most likely a spionid worm.

spionid worm gets my vote too, harmless unless you're a small 'pod of some kind.

No the worm moves when I shine light on it. I noticed the worms in my tank that look like feather dusters but these are different. It looks like the tip has like suction pulling stuff off of my rocks! Creepy looking

Digitated Hydroid.

http://www.austinreefclub.com/links/goto/6-xtalreef/

DIGITATE HYDROIDS hhbad.jpg Digitate hydroids spread quickly and sting anything they touch, making them nasty to have in your reef tank. Too bad as it is cool to watch them bob up and down as they stretch out from the rock. I couldn't find a good pic... soooo... enjoy my drawing. LOL. They are white hairlike critters with a bulbous tip which will mostly come out at night. Sorry for the drawing.

___

I don't think they are horrible but they are stingers so worth getting out. The toothbrush at the end of a siphon trick works on them (like just about everything else.) I have some in my cryptic fuge and don't mind them there as they work as scavengers in thier area.

I don't think its a digitated hydroid. They are very thin and clear. I've never been able to get a shot of one, since they are so small/thin. I have quite a few in my tank. I don't think they have any sort of larger body, just the very thin arm like part that comes out. Unless what I have aren't DH. The only place I've seen them is on that xtal reef. And his drawing looks very close to the things I have.

There is a good pic of a digitated hydroid on melevs reef "Identify that critter/Worms, Starfish & Cucumbers" section.

Yeah, I know what they look like. I've never seen any sort of thicker tube like body, like Salt Dreams has in his pictures though.

Ok after review I think it is the spionid worm...the digitate worm has legs on the tentacle with a wider tip...mines does not... the peanut worm has stripes mines does not although the movement is very similar he is a different color as well...if you look at pic 1 there are 3 of them in different areas which makes me wonder if it is the spionid since they all have one visible tentacle? So far though that is the closest suggestion to what I see in my tank with the Peanut worm being a very close second place.

Just kidding... I went to the Melev's site and now it looks more like a peanut worm especially his picture and description... either way it is reef safe but i the peanut worm doesnt cause sand problems so I want to believe it is a peanut worm final answerwacko.gif

I Found some in my tank last week also and did not see any stripes at first untill one night i was looking at my tank with a led flashlight and seen one i have been watching for a few days fully extended from a rock into the sand bed, and that's the only time i noticed the stripes it normally only stuck out about 3/4 of inch but when i seen it that night it was extended out about 2 inches and only then i could see the stripes.hope this helps.