Non Agressive Fish List

cyrus

No guarantees but...

Firefish

Blue Reef Chromis

+1 for both of these.

Mandarin Gobies (In my experience).

True Percula Clowns - I've always had cute and cuddly clowns, but there are some who say they find theirs to be aggressive.

Even when dead, it can release chemicals that can hurt. biggrin.gif Hehe

Even in death they can cause harm. Though if you get them out while they are still "warm" they make for good eats or good anemone food.

Even in death they can cause harm. Though if you get them out while they are still "warm" they make for good eats or good anemone food.

Lol! I wouldn't eat one, but I would definitely feed the whole thing to a 'nem if I had one.

Lol! I wouldn't eat one, but I would definitely feed the whole thing to a 'nem if I had one.

I used to feed dead damsels to my anemones. I recently lost most of my anemones though. :D

Fairy Wrasses. How can you be mean when your name starts with Fairy?

I don't know. Sixline Wrasses sound very "nice" but they will cut six lines in your face if they get the chance.

What happened to your anemones?

I think it was my fault. I've been making my own saltwater and I didn't calibrate my refractometer properly. My salinity has been low... like 1.021ish.

Firefish

Blue Reef Chromis

Mandarin Gobies

Clown Gobies

True Percula Clowns

Lamarck's Angel

Marine Betta

Pipe fish

Starckii Damsels

Fairy Wrasses

Hippo Tang

Scopas Tang

Pajama Cardinals

Red Dot Cardinals

Lawnmower Blenny

Edited by cyrus
  • Like 1

I'd nix the cardinals personally unless you either plan to keep fish larger than their mouths or remove them when they get large. When they get big they will happily, eagerly and aggressively eat other fish. I got rid of 4 large orbicular cardinals (PJs ugly cousins) because they would eat any fish they could fit in their mouth, or any fish they thought they might be able to fit in their mouth. I was amazed at what those fish could fit in their mouths. I'm just SO glad I found out by feeding cheap feeder fish to an eel (before we stopped feeding him feeders) vs. feeding a cute clown to the cardinals. It was amazing to see the cardinals hunt and eat the feeder fish. They'd get them long before the poor eel could.

They were very passive otherwise (had other large tank mates), but I didn't want to risk misjudging what they would consider a snack when adding new fish.

While clown gobies are small, I have had some that were not aggressive per say, but would hold their won.

And + 1 on the Scopas tang.

To add to the list:

- Twinspot Bristletooth Tang

- Yellowhead Jawfish are pretty docile, they just protect their hole.

I would add banghaii cardinals. My watchman goby is not aggressive at all unless another fish insists on trying to occupy the same 2 square inches of sand bed it is on. I have a hippo tank which is larger than everyone else and he is very aggressive with anyone near his size. I think coral beauty and true pygmy angels are listed as mildly aggressive but my coral beauty is very peaceful. I can't go back to the first page without losing my post. Have scooter blennies been added to the list? Very peaceful. Seems I heard one time that tank raised percs or false percs are less aggressive than wild caught, but I wouldn't call any of them passive. TMSAISTI

Bill

I'll add Canary Wrasse (sometimes mis-named yellow Coris Wrasse) to the list. The one I am referring to is solid yellow in color with a black eye spot on the dorsal fin. Halichoeres chrysus.