wild shrimp

fresoul

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So,

I think we need to hold a meeting down at the coast. The obvious theme will be 'how to wild catch tank goodies'. :)

Chris, please share pictures of your girlfriends haul.

Will do!

She says the rock actually has like 6 anemone's on it all around 1" - 2" wide. She said in the little tidal pools there were thousands of them, but most were attached to big rocks. There were all different colors too, orange, green, blue, purple. I hope she took the camera out there and got some good pics.

When she got it in the bucket and they opened up, she said the biggest one was a nice deep purple.

Hopefully she will be able to grab some shrimp tonight.

As far as the anemones go, will it be dangerous to put them in a tank with my clownfish? Are there certain types of anemones who might eat clowns instead of being friends? I don't want these free little guys to end up killing fish I've had for years.

That is so cool!!

Think you furture MIL would like to host an ARC meeting? LOL!!

I was wondering the same thing about these anemones. I assume they are the rock anemones others have been talking about. They are pretty, but sound like aggressive little buggers. Clowns aside, what about other fish wandering into them and getting stung to death? Or is that just a risk you take with any anemone? I like the idea of the rock ones because they don't need as much light.

ok well that makes sense about the sand lol I was just curious... didnt even think about the contaminates..... thanks for the info.. cant wait to see pics of the wild critters.... what part of the coast is she at??

As far as the anemones go, will it be dangerous to put them in a tank with my clownfish? Are there certain types of anemones who might eat clowns instead of being friends? I don't want these free little guys to end up killing fish I've had for years.

They sound like rock anemones, and clowns do not host in them. Not sure if they would try or not to though, but as Keeper said I think they are fairly aggressive. But rock anemones are sold by different resellers, so some people keep them in tanks.

She just called and said she was not able to catch any shrimps :D

She did manage to catch a couple little fish who are clear? Is it worth her bringing these guys back at all?

She also had some sort of creature who is flat/round who was swimming around in the bucket. Said when it got on the pole for the net it kind of crawled, and rolled up like a pillbug. Since it is not something I recognize, would it be best to tell her to take those out of the bucket and put them back?

Everything she brings back will be going in a QT tank for a couple weeks before I decide to do anything with them.

I don't think the flat thing was a fish. She had asked about flatworms, if they swim or not.

Maybe it was some sort of nudi?

Meh, I'll have her strain those guys out and put them back. I don't really want something we don't know what it is.

Hopefully next time I get to go and see if I can find stuff on my own!

And as far as the fish, I'll have her just bring back a couple, see what they are.

Also, as far as the rock anemone's are concerned; Would it be a bad idea to eventually put them into one of my display tanks? Do most fish kind of know what to play with and what not to? How big of a sting does it take to incapacitate most fish? If the anemones are only 1-2" across, would most 3-4" fish be fine, even if they brushed up against them?

You are probably right about the flat things being nudibranchs. I remember shaking lots of them out of seaweed last year in Port A. They do swim in the water by "flapping" their sides.

As far as the anemones .. well, it is a risk. You need to read the posts by our sponsor coordinator Mark, and his adventures with a carpet anemone and all the victims it claimed. Now, rock anemones do not have as strong a sting as carpets, but I think they are pretty powerful.

She's gonna try to catch as many of the flat thingies and throw them back in the morn. May still end up with a couple =/

We'll see how this all goes tomorrow once I get them in the QT tank.

I love Austin, but sometimes I wish I lived somewhere that I could go swim in a giant fishtank and see all sorts of cool critters on a daily basis. Someday.... someday..

Also, as far as the rock anemone's are concerned; Would it be a bad idea to eventually put them into one of my display tanks? Do most fish kind of know what to play with and what not to? How big of a sting does it take to incapacitate most fish? If the anemones are only 1-2" across, would most 3-4" fish be fine, even if they brushed up against them?

FWIW, I've had two rock anemones from Port A in my tank since last July with two onyx clowns and two mandarins, and I've not had any trouble.

"She also had some sort of creature who is flat/round who was swimming around in the bucket. Said when it got on the pole for the net it kind of crawled, and rolled up like a pillbug. Since it is not something I recognize, would it be best to tell her to take those out of the bucket and put them back?"

I'd actually go with large flatworms if they are swimming. There is a video on utube of a massive one about 2 1/2' long! I'd be interested in seeing a video clip of what you found.

Also I plan on going to port a at the being of the month cause I'm on leave laugh.gif if anyone esle is down let me know.

Alright, wild goodies time.

This piece of rock is INSANE as far as different life on it.

I would definitely suggest having a quarantine tank if you are ever going to do this. It is just full of random weird life that I would not want near my DT.

img7373c.th.jpg

Thats the best pic of the whole rock I could get right now. Has 6 total anemones on it. It is also covered in what I think are barnacles. They are all opening and sending out a little scoop shaped fan. There are hundreds of them, looks like the rock is alive and pulsating.

I'm not able to get the best pictures right now, and I would like to spend some time with my SO since she's been gone for a while. But I will try tomorrow.

But heres a quick rundown. Any info is appreciated! I will be looking through the hitchhiker ID guides as I find neat things.

This is what the anemones look like:

img7376v.th.jpg

In this pic you can see some nudi's, they are tiny, but don't look good to me. They are not in focus, but I will try to get a better pic. You can sort of make out their shape if you know what you are looking for. There are at least 2 here just about dead center of the pic.

img7379m.th.jpg

This is one of the little minnows she caught. I don't know why she decided to bring them, but whatever. There are I think 5 of these guys. Pretty much see-through.

img7383.th.jpg

There are lots of these little guys, they are about 1/2" tall. They are standing up on what I assume are leg like appendages. They dont seem to swim, more crawl. Something from the pod/shrimp family maybe?

img7375m.th.jpg

I also saw a very very tiny crab and all sorts of different looking pod type creatures.

The things that she said were swimming around real fast are not flatworms, I saw one and it really did remind me of a pillbug. But he was really fast, so hopefully a better pic or description later.

She also brought 2 snails who I will take pics of later. Pretty sure they are a type of whelk, and not something I want to keep.

Any input / criticism appreciated.

Thanks.

So the tall weird thingies are Skeleton Shrimp (Caprellid amphipods) .

And from 5mins of reading they dont seem to be harmful. Just rare in home tanks, since the way they stand up on the edge of rocks, leads to them being eaten rather quickly. I even have some pregnant females who have full pulsating brood pouches.

That last picture almost looks like a bunch of baby mantis shrimp.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rs/index.php

They are definitely the skeleton shrimp. Down to the picture on that site with the brood pouch. I was wondering why some of them had fat stomachs that seemed to be pulsating.

I really wish I had a macro lens for my camera. I will continue to try to take decent pictures of everything I find.

Ive sat in front of this little 20gal for more than an hour tonight looking for different critters. I wish I had a magnifying glass so I can take a closer look at some of the smaller things in there.

Oops, I see the post where you had already identified them. Sorry :)

Don't be sorry. I at first thought they might be mantis as well. I look forward to all and any input in this!

I did see another weird creature who was shrimp like , but his top half was split into 2 sections. Almost like two huge fangs. Kind of hard to explain, I'm looking for a similar picture anywhere. He moved too fast for me to get any sort of picture though.

Some pretty cool stuff! The nems are nice colored...I got one once, but it was just a cream color. I caught a butterfly fish once...was tiny and I didn't think to take it out of the cooler that held the peppermint shrimp...they kind of ate it.

Nice finds!!!

I feel like a postwhore for posting so much today.

I've decided that the pillbug type creatures are isopods. Once the lights went out and I was able to investigate with a flashlight I saw quite a few of them. The most noticeable feature is that you can make out their big black eyes.

If they aren't crawling on the rock, when they swim they do so upside down. Very fast little critters for sure.

Seems like for the most part, these guys are bad guys. I'll try to get pictures to help with a more positive ID.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/rs/index.php