Glass tank vs Acrylic tank

theresa

Glass is cheaper, and scratch resistant but heavier.

Acrylic is clearer than glass, lighter than glass and easier to modify (ie. drill/cut), but it costs more and scratches easily.

However, Sapphire glass is as clear as Acrylic but there is usually an upcharge for it it. Though it seems to still cost less than Acrylic.

Ok, with the cons:

Acrylic scratches, sometimes quite easily

Glass is brittle and can break. Glass tanks also weigh more.

Pros:

Acrylic is clearer than glass and weighs less.

Glass is harder to scratch making many maintenance tasks easier.

THere are others which I feel other reefers will supply but these were the main ones for me.

I've had both and personally will never buy another acrylic tank.

One other point. Acryllic has a much better insulation profile. Calfo makes a very strong arguement for acryllic in a proffesional farming operation (if your not just going with tubs.) But even in a home operation, if you have a large sump it makes a lot of sense to use acryllic there.

That being said, I agree with Gonzo above and would never get acryllic for a display tank. Way to easy to accidently scratch. Also, after seeing his starfire tank I fully plan on spending the extra money on my next tank to upgrade to that level of glass. It is just amazingly clear.

I have a 150 acrylic tank I reburbished (see my blog "The Saga of the 150"). The tank is very clear and light weight. Maintencance takes longer, I do every thing slowly in and around the tank. Scratching is an issue but I have only had to repair the tank once when I scratched it while using a fish trap. Did all the repair underwater and then did a 40 gallon water change.

I have a 150 acrylic tank I reburbished (see my blog "The Saga of the 150"). The tank is very clear and light weight. Maintencance takes longer, I do every thing slowly in and around the tank. Scratching is an issue but I have only had to repair the tank once when I scratched it while using a fish trap. Did all the repair underwater and then did a 40 gallon water change.

I should mention that this would be the exception for me. Once you go above a 120 or so acryllic just makes a lot of sense. Just for the weight if nothing else.