dark green beads on rocks?

mrtcool

Emerald Crabs are a great and reef-safe way to keep it in check. We had a bunch on our rocks when we finished cycling, put in 2 crabs and they had it cleared up in about a week. If you go with Emeralds though...look for ones on the smaller side. Fairly certain "Big Bertha" ate one of our chromis once the bubble algae was gone :)

Emerald Crabs are a great and reef-safe way to keep it in check.

I think 'keep it in check' is the key words on Emerald Crabs. These bubbles are full of spores to make other little baby algae. So when they pop the bubbles to eat them they are actually releasing many spores back into the water. This is why there was another suggestion of removing them carefully without poping them - with practice you can figure out which are 'ripe' to be picked. If practical IMHO removing the rocks, and scrubbing them is a better solution, though I scrub the spot they where they attached with a steel brush or quick buff with a dremel.

Bill

I have never had a bubble algae outbreak from adding emerald crabs... I think the key is to nip the problem early before you have tons of bubbles around the tank releasing spores (like you mentioned).

My emeralds have done a great job with the bubble algae on the rocks...except for three spots.

I've got three bubbles that are in excess of 1/2" and one that's approaching 1"...and the emeralds haven't touched them. I think they're intimidated.

I keep wanting to pull them off, but I'm afraid they're gonna burst and contaminate the whole tank again.

Need to clean out the inside of my vortech too...it's getting full of bubble algae. ;)

I've noticed that the smaller emeralds are better for bubble control than the big ones, and then they prefer the smaller bubbles. As Bill said, they're better to keep the bubbles in check rather than try to eradicate a large infestation, not only because of the spores (which can indeed be a problem) but also because of the damage that a large number of crabs can do once they run out of bubble algae (snacking on fish, decorative macro, hermits, etc)

ya, i had a REALY bad outbreak in my old tank... To much feeding not enough water changes and poor lighting. Try using some stuff called Marine SAT, it a beneficial bacteria and cant be overdosed. I poured 2 bottles in my 72 bowfront and within 4 month the bubble algae was almost gone