um,.......

caferacermike

Nope that was one of my liveliest fish. He was the meanest fish as well. A real nuisance. I wanted to yank him about a hundred times and trade him off but I couldn't bring myself to do it cause he had been with me so long.

My guess is that he stuck his head in there to bite at the clam and the clam closed shut. The wrasses gills are clamped together and would have prevented it from breathing. This all happened in less than 2 hours. I went to 2 lfs to look around and when I came back I found him that way.

It's been that way for over an hour now as well. The clam only gets tighter if I try to get the fish out.

Well I'm definitely worried as the clam ain't gonna let go. The other fish have come by and eaten it's slime coat and have been eating it's scales as well. That clam can read my mind, if I think to myself now would be a good time to flick away that fish the clam closes up tight before I make a move. I've tried prying it open but I don't want to kill the killer clam. I tried putting the clam in a crevice with the fish hanging down but again it won't let go of it. I'm thinking about cutting as much of the fish away as possible with scissors to help offset any nitrate, nitrite, or ammonia spikes.

That was what I was thinking as well. Cut it as close to the clam as you can. At least that way there will be less to decompose. I am surprised you clean up critters haven't jumped on it yet. In my old tank the hermits and peppermints would have been all over a tasty morsel like that.

Looks like a green coris to me, and this is VERY stange. Usually you can just pry the fish out of the clam and the fish will make it through no problem. Just remember not to tear their foot and you should be fine.

Rich the loved/hated wrasse ate all my cleanup crew. I couldn't keep many hermits, snails, or any shrimp at all as it would hunt them down. I bought him 400 ilnassarius snails from Ebay once a month so he could eat them at his own will, only problem is I have about 2,000 empty shells now.

JoeK for you.

100_1342.JPG

And a just because I likes my cynarina so much and I got a great one of him today.

100_1346.JPG

pry the fish out of the clam and the fish will make it through no problem. Just remember not to tear their foot and you should be fine.

Fish have feet? Hahahaha lol. How could I resist? Not my clam. He hadn't attached yet as he was a new arrival. I pulled it from the tank and no amount of persuasion short of ripping it completely open would the clam part with his "catch". I waited and waited with my hand on the fish for about 10 minutes this evening and when the clam opened up a bit I was able to yank the fish free before the clam closed.

Hey everyone, the clam is OK!

crazy, if the fish is still stuck in the clam, the only thing I can think of to try is remove the clam (w/ the fish) and put it into a freshwater dip in a container sizeable enough for you to get your hand in. Every clam I've freshwater dipped has always opened up wide and retracted over and over. I would assume that if you keep your hand on the fish the whole time you freshwater dip the clam, then upon opening or pulsing open-to-close, you may be able to yank the corpse out. I'm sure this sounds crazy, but short of letting any amount of the fish continue to decompose in your tank, this is the only means I could think of.

Man, that was some insanely bad luck for the wrasse, but one of the more interesting pictures and threads I have seen in a while. Sorry, that the wrasse didn't make it, but I'm sure you are glad that the clam is going to pull through. I believe that you have the first clam I have ever seen that needs an "aggressive" label. :D