Stocking a Reef Safe Tank

renman303

Hey everyone,

Just looking for opinions on stocking my 225. I'm clueless...I have been sold so many fish that ended up eating shrimp, snails and other fish that I really want to make this take symbiotic. So, I'm really not sure what I need? I've been reading a lot on various web sites but there is a lot of contradicting information. Some say, "Reef Safe" others say "With Caution"?

I know I want some "Cleaner Shrimp" a Coral Banded Shrimp, another cool Tang or even a Reef Safe Trigger if one exists? I would like to get a "schooling" fish of 5-6 that is small as well.

Maybe I need to have everyone over just to take a look prior to Lee Hoy's meeting since I'm in Gtown as well?

Here is what I currently have:

1- Ocellaris Clown that is living in a green Carpet Anemone.

1- Scooter Blenny

1- 4.5" Sailfin Tang

1- Tiger Pistol Shrimp

1- Bubble Tip Anemone

Various corals that I have no clue what they are?????

I also have a "Marine Beta" that I would like to trade for Shrimp, another fish, coral....

It is listed as "Semi Aggressive". But, would probably do well with a "Like" tank.

Your friend...and mine, :P

Dave

Another Tang in a tank that size would be no problem. I would stay away from a Vlamangi, Clown or Sohol as they all get very large. You might find it interesting to listen to the last couple Reefcasts at www.reefcast.com They had some good info on Schooling vs. shoaling fish. I am a big fan of Wrasses. You have to be careful which ones you pick as some do have a taste for shrimp, but any of the Fairy Wrasses should be fine. They are also great at hunting any coral predators you may get inadvertently. There are some Triggers that are more reef safe than others but most are quite expensive. I have heard os some keeping Nigers with success but others have had issues. Blue Throats are very pretty and usually work out from what I have read and heard. HTH

Dave,

I highly recommend the following fish:

1.) Radiant Wrasse - probably one of the most beautiful fish, requires sand bed, and make sure it is eating well before buying. Aquatek gets them in quite frequently. Requires sand bed to bury in at night. One of my all time favorite fish. Just fine with shrimp, inverts.

2.) Genicanthus angels are beautiful, don't eat coral, and are pretty laid back. Local fish stores are starting to get them much more regularly. Best angelfish for any tank hands down.

3.) Pinkbar Goby - I can't figure out why more people don't own this beautiful fish. Live Aquaria has them regularly, but hardly see in LFS. Aquatek occasionally has one.

4.) A less expensive reef safe trigger is the Pinktail Trigger and it is a beautiful fish. To help keep them reef safe, when you introduce inverts, don't just "drop them in" like you do food. Take them all the way to the bottom with a net and let them loose on the rock. I actually used one color net to feed fish and another to introduce new inhabitants. I actually trained the Trigger to be scared of the introduction net. I would put in tank without anything, and when he would get close, bonk him on the head with it. He pretty much learned what net to eat out of and what to avoid. Also good idea to introduce after other fish.

5.) Flasher and fairy wrasses, although not every combination is good, you should check the Fairy Wrasse thread on Reef Central where the world expert on fairy and flasher wrasses (Tanaka) posts frequently.

6.) Basically, try and get some fish that are open swimmers, some that hang out at the bottom and some that tend to hide more among the rocks. Makes for an interesting combination.

7.) Try to avoid all the "common" fish that EVERYONE has in their tank and it will make for more exciting display.

8.) Coral Banded Shrimp can eat other cleaner shrimp. I had success with a large Coral Banded Shrimp and peppermint shrimp, but I would not have risked a common cleaner or fire shrimp.

9.) Tang wise, I would HIGHLY recommend avoiding those that tend to get ich or are extremely sensitive.

Lee

Hey everyone,

Just looking for opinions on stocking my 225. I'm clueless...I have been sold so many fish that ended up eating shrimp, snails and other fish that I really want to make this take symbiotic. So, I'm really not sure what I need? I've been reading a lot on various web sites but there is a lot of contradicting information. Some say, "Reef Safe" others say "With Caution"?

I know I want some "Cleaner Shrimp" a Coral Banded Shrimp, another cool Tang or even a Reef Safe Trigger if one exists? I would like to get a "schooling" fish of 5-6 that is small as well.

Maybe I need to have everyone over just to take a look prior to Lee Hoy's meeting since I'm in Gtown as well?

1- Ocellaris Clown that is living in a green Carpet Anemone.

1- Scooter Blenny

1- 4.5" Sailfin Tang

1- Tiger Pistol Shrimp

1- Bubble Tip Anemone

Various corals that I have no clue what they are?????

I also have a "Marine Beta" that I would like to trade for Shrimp, another fish, coral....

It is listed as "Semi Aggressive". But, would probably do well with a "Like" tank.

Your friend...and mine, ;)

Dave

OK, Here is what I'm thinking of adding to the 225:

McCosker's_Flasher

post-155-1216348216.jpg

Pinkbar Goby

post-155-1216348238.jpg

Radiant Wrasse

post-155-1216348250.jpg

Red Head Solon Fairy

post-155-1216348264.jpg

Scotts Fairy Wrasse

post-155-1216348280.jpg

Swallowtail Angel

post-155-1216348290.jpg

Either these or some combination of added to my current line up. OR......

Get rid of the Sailfin tang and go with really peaceful fish and some Black Seahorses???

Thoughts are appreciated.

Edited by renman303

I would honestly stay away from any angels, I don't know anything about the angel you have listed but they are all a risk to nip at corals even if they don't nip at first they may decide 5 months from now that they all the sudden like that new small frag you have of LE coral.

As far as Sea horses I would also stay away. They don't like the higher temps of the reef tanks and they don't swim very well in the high current needed for the coral.

• 2 weeks later...

You have more money showing in that picture list than I have invested in my tank. :)

I think with a tank that big you are going to want some impact (larger) fish. I would go for a powder blue or brown (I prefer the brown) tang, hippo tang, and maybe a sohal. It looks like you can afford to hold out for tank raised tangs (tangs that are either in someone elses tank, or larger specimens at the LFS. Tangs are ich magnets at first, but once you get them into an established tank I don't think they are any worse that the rest of the fish. I would also add a mandrin (maybe two) once your sand bed is fully established. They are great to watch and very colorful. Just make sure everything you get is eating. Setting up a quarantine tank would be a really good idea as well. You don't want a single fish wiping out your tank.

How about just 50 or so assorted damsels? Easy on the wallet and I rarely see them in anyones tank. They are pretty much all reef safe and will only beat on each other here and there. :D

• 3 weeks later...

:unsure: Dave, sounds like you are moving kind of fast with your tank. Maybe kick back and check your losses and read alittle about the livestock you you are thinking about getting. I live in Georgetown and would be glad to loan you some books to check out and see which ones you like before you add to your library. I know how exciting it is to get a new tank but with reef keeping "what you don't know kills" So sit and and let your tank mature for awhile. Just like cooking a new recipe, never perfect the first time. By the way My husband and I enjoy your resterant as offen as we can. Judefish

I'm looking to add some wrasse to my 215. Instead of getting just a single male, look at getting a female or two to help keep the male's color strong and flashing. I have heard that thier color is not as vibrant without something to show off to. MarineDepotLive.com says they can get both males and females (not often seen). I'm looking at getting a group of these (1M/2F):

ML0884144-01_99.jpg

The pink bar gobies I had in the old tank were jumpers and ended up losing them. The wrasse are jumpers too. Use screens. I've been missing the gobies and thought about getting another pair. :unsure:

Thanks for the input. "Judefish", glad you like the restaurant, not sure whom you may be by your call sign alone but, I'd love to meet you and your husband next time you are in at Nonna's.

I'm really not moving too fast, just gathering information and possible tankmates. The tank has been up with no loss of life since July 2. I have not done a water change to date. Lots of algae and stuff but it's not out of control.

I was mainly looking for tankmates that would be compatible with my current lineup but I'm sure I'm almost maxed out as everyone looks happy at this point and has a lot of room to roam.

One - 4.5" Sailfin Tang

One - 3" Swallowtail Angel (one of only two that are listed as "Reef Safe")

One - 2" Ocellaris Clown

One - 2" Scooter Blenny

One - 2" Green Mandarin

Two - 2.5" Blue Line Cleaner Wrasse's

One - 3" Yellowhead Jawfish

One - 2" Tailspot Blenny