Its time to go from 10 48" t-5s.. to LED.. PIC UPDATE!

I am going to try and be pretty informative here.. I have not gotten my LEDs in yet but here is what I ordered..

I bought 1 lot of 5 of these..

http://www.aliexpres...holesalers.html

and I bought 2 lots of 5 of these..

http://www.aliexpres...holesalers.html

These ship out of China, so they will take some time getting here.. I elected to get the expedited shipping for an extra $20..

My total was a little over $100..

I had some difficulties finding drivers for these because I wanted to fire all the whites with one driver and all the blues with one driver.

If you don't know the formula for finding the right driver for your LEDs here it is..

If you want to run them in series, you multiply the voltage by the number of LEDs in the string and keep the same current..

For example: I have 5 LEDs I want to fire.. They are 20w, 35v, 700mA each.. I would need a driver that puts out 175v @700mA to fire these in series...

If you want to run them in parallel, you keep the voltage and you multiply the current by the number of LEDs in the string..

Same LED string wired in parallel would require a driver [email protected]...

I elected to run my LEDs in parallel.. There are some advantages to this. If one goes out.. they all don't go out..

I wanted dimmable drivers for my LEDs as well.. so, I began to hunt..

This is what I found..

I probably could have saved some money by getting the drivers out of China as well, but I elected to go with Mean Well dimmable drivers.

For the Blues I purchased:

http://www.powergate...wer-supply.html

and for the Whites I purchased:

http://www.powergate...wer-supply.html

Here I spent about $155 with shipping..

In total I'm out about $260 for LEDs...

When they get here, I get to put them together. smile.png Stay posted.

Definitely interested to see how these come out. I've looked at some stuff on that site but been skeptical about ordering. Let us know how fast the expedited shipping is.

Today was a fruitful day.. I made a trip to Lowe's and bought some hardware and some U-channel to mount the LEDs on...

IMG_2804.jpg

Measured where I wanted the LEDs and then set them up to drill holes for mounting..

IMG_2805.jpg

IMG_2806.jpg

Mounted with thermal grease underneath for heat transfer..

IMG_2808.jpg

IMG_2809.jpg

Now for the fun part... Running wire, soldering and heat shrink..

IMG_2811.jpg

IMG_2812.jpg

IMG_2813.jpg

Wired up the drivers and tested..

blues.jpg

Pulled down the canopy and removed the old lighting... Amazing how fast if comes apart compared to how long it took to put together..

oldlights.jpg

reflectors.jpg

Installed the new LED light strip and tested..

allon.jpg

and now for the moment I have been waiting for....

done.jpg

All in all it cost me about $300 to light my tank... It is a 135 Oceanic.. 72"x24"x18" PAR readings to come.. When I get a PAR meter to test with..

Looking good Jake.

How do you like the color combo you ended up going with?

In that pic are they all turned up 100%?

Can't wait to see it in person on Sat.

I'm glad someone else was inspired to check out those panels. I know Francis has all his LED stuff, he needs to talk you into helping him get it all set-up, cuz I'm way lazy compared to what you did in 1 day.

Do you monitor your temps very closely?

I'm wondering how the LED with that long heat sink will compare to the T5's.

I don't remember what kind of fans if any you have in the canopy, or plan on installing?

Yes,

In that photo they are 100%.. For the photo only though..

I'm running them at about 50% probably for the next week and then turn them up slooowly over the period of a month or so..

Thanks guys

So how do the colors look compared with that of the t5's? It looks purple and thats the way i like it. Also, did you add the potentiometers or were they part of the drivers? If you had to get them seperate where did you connect them.

I have the whites on a driver and the blues on a driver... so I can adjust them individually to what I like. The light is comparable to my t-5s with the exception of the blue LEDs.. They are WAY more blue than the t-5s ever were..

The Pots did not come with the drivers. I purchased them at Fry's. The drivers I purchased have two output wires to connect a dimmer of sorts. That is where I connected the Pot on each driver.

Wow that's neat. Can you give me the part numbers on those pots. I think i'm going to do your setup for my tank. I had been eyeballing those big LEDs but wasn't sure on them. Now for sure i'm doing it.

Tim (timfish) came by today and did some PAR readings on my new LED setup...

I took PAR readings of the t-5s that I had in my tank back in December... The results were about 120 in the center on the bottom of the tank with 10 48" 54w t-5s and around 400 at the water level. That was with 540Watts of t-5 lighting...

With 200w of LED lighting I am getting the following:

Blues only:

LEDs are about 10" from water surface

100 at surface

55 8" under

45 10" under

40 14" under

40 bottom of tank 24" under...

Whites only:

170 at surface

70 10" under

50 12" under

50 bottom 24" under

ALL lights at 100%

300 at surface

120 10" under

110 14" under

100 bottom 24"under

Take about 10 points off of each number on the edges of the tank otherwise the lighting is very even.

Thanks Tim!

Your welcome! Neat project Jake! (But isn't that a typo on the last reading? It should be 100 PAR @ 24" right?.) Were the T5s mount as high as teh LEDs or higher or lower?

Your welcome! Neat project Jake! (But isn't that a typo on the last reading? It should be 100 PAR @ 24" right?.) Were the T5s mount as high as teh LEDs or higher or lower?

Ahh fixed... Thanks again. :)

The t-5s were mounted at about 12".. The LEDs are about 5.5in off the surface of the water

I think I have read that article before and have forgotten about it.. I probably don't want to run my LEDs at full strength if that is true..

There are a ton of threads all over about people damaging their coral when switching to LEDs. I'm following this on RC now:

sps liking lower light w/leds

Archived