Adding a refugium into a sump

Razor

I have the all glass megaflow sump and I'm needing some ideas on how to add a refugium in the system. Right now it's configured to where the the water flows into the sump and over liverock rubble, then into the center chamber where the protein skimmer is located. The skimmer pours onto the bubble trap spong and the water flows through the sponge under the baffle and into the third chamber where the return pump is located pushing the water back up into the tank. I was wondering if I needed to exchange the return pump for an external one, build the fuge in that chamber and somehow rig up the external pump to pull the water from the fuge back into the tank.

post-983-1257478603377_thumb.jpg

post-983-12574786200969_thumb.jpg

post-983-12574786320136_thumb.jpg

post-983-12574786425488_thumb.jpg

I would make the the section that you have the rock in the fuge or if possible move the skimmer into that section if. Either way you need to add a baffle at the section where the rock is. It needs to be about 1" from the other and the water needs to go over it. This will create a deeper section of water for the fuge. Then just buy a clip on light from Lowes or Homedepot with a 5000-5500K bulb and you are set.

I guess I could try putting the skimmer in that first chamber where the rock is at and using the middle chamber for rock and make a fuge... don't know if the skimmer will fit in there though. I'll look at it and see

I would use the extra space under your tank and add an additional box that is higher than your current sump. Put a spillway into it so it auto flows back to the pump chamber of your current sump. Use a small pump (maxi 600 say) to feed your new refugium water from your existing sump.

You could easily DIY it with bubbermade containers and bulkheads. Alternately you could get prof or someone to slap it together for you for that custom fit but it would be much more expensive.

We did a DIY "fuge" and if you want you can follow the link to see how we did it at least. Not saying it is what you want but it could work. We have never had a problem with it. If you want I can post some pictures of the sump and "fuge" set-up just let me know. I hope this helps and if not I am sorry to pass on bogus advice.

http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/4696-diy-under-tank-refugium/

Thanks,

Matt

I went ahead and added some pictures of my plumbing on the 210. You can see my DIY "fuge" in the pictures. It is not a real large one but very close to 10 gallons. The pictures are part of my memebers gallery. Hope you enjoy.

Matt

Archived