DIY canopy for 29g biocube

diabeetus

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

now under the 2 supports i have running across the canopy, i will install one set of moonlights on each support beam. i have a red one already, should i stick with it and get another red one or get a white one? or get 2 new white moonlights? hmmm. decisions...

It looks awesome!

I wouldn't run white. If you run another red one you get the benefit of the being able to sneakily watch a lot of night activity (most critters can't detect the red light). A blue light gives you a nice "moonlight" glow.

if you want to give it a real "plastic" look I would not sand the wood, but instead put a layer of bondo or a plastic based cement over the surface. Then sand it smooth. Then paint it. When done it will look like the OG plastic.

ok, what would yall think if i put black formica over the front and bend it all the way around to give it the slick, plastic look that the stand has? good idea? bad idea? does it even bend like the way i would need it? (formica is a false counter top fascia, for those of you who didnt know :P a cheaper route than a solid granite or glass counter top..)

ok, what would yall think if i put black formica over the front and bend it all the way around to give it the slick, plastic look that the stand has? good idea? bad idea? does it even bend like the way i would need it? (formica is a false counter top fascia, for those of you who didnt know :P a cheaper route than a solid granite or glass counter top..)

That should work fine, I've laminated a piece similarly for the side of my table saw and it worked fine. It should easily bend that way. You'll want to use the two part contact cement and then trim with a flush cut router bit. Give me a shout if you need any help.

That should work fine, I've laminated a piece similarly for the side of my table saw and it worked fine. It should easily bend that way. You'll want to use the two part contact cement and then trim with a flush cut router bit. Give me a shout if you need any help.

ok, cool! so a regular wood cutting blade wouldnt work? just wondering because i have one at work i could use. but if not, i can easily get the right tools for the job. :)

a flush cut router bit will trim the laminate exactly to fit the underlying wood.

If you completely overlap the wood with it you can try cutting it with a wood cutting blade. The problem is if it cracks you already have it glued to the wood at that point. It is also difficult to cut curved pieces on a saw.

You might be saying that you would cut it and then apply it to the wood. You can do this if everything is square.

The flush cut router bit allows you to apply it a bit more sloppily and still end up with a nice clean finish.

Archived