in need of cheato

polarbear

Well after a month or so of talking and planning I finally got my biocube drilled (thanks to David aka Epic Reef) and my refugium up and going (again thanks to Daivd) but now I need some cheato. Does anyone have some that they are willing to donate or sale? I prefer someone south or central austin since I live south but anything will help. Please let me know thanks.

I have a 12 hour photoperiod using a .... and this is my secret... halogen spotlight.

Yep, a halogen spotlight self reflector bulb for outdoor use. They are really bright and have a very high level of red light. Got the tip from a guy that was doing research into lights for aquariums in an old 1995 article where he checked Flourescents vs. Incandensents vs. halogens because MH were too expensive then in his opinion to use on an aquarium. Only problem is that it runs really hot but i have an open tank and sump and it gets chilly in my house overnight so not a huge deal.

I also keep a minijet 606 in the chamber with the chaeto to keep it rolling so the entire ball gets circulation and light. I also love the look of the chaeto ball rolling around. Can just stare at it for some time. I usually harvest off when i get to volleyball size and pull out a baseball to a softball chunk at a time.

I have a 12 hour photoperiod using a .... and this is my secret... halogen spotlight.

Yep, a halogen spotlight self reflector bulb for outdoor use. They are really bright and have a very high level of red light. Got the tip from a guy that was doing research into lights for aquariums in an old 1995 article where he checked Flourescents vs. Incandensents vs. halogens because MH were too expensive then in his opinion to use on an aquarium. Only problem is that it runs really hot but i have an open tank and sump and it gets chilly in my house overnight so not a huge deal.

I also keep a minijet 606 in the chamber with the chaeto to keep it rolling so the entire ball gets circulation and light. I also love the look of the chaeto ball rolling around. Can just stare at it for some time. I usually harvest off when i get to volleyball size and pull out a baseball to a softball chunk at a time.

Zara,

"I love to look at the chaeto ball rolling". You might consider Thie stick with that ritual.

I also plan on using the halogen fixtures suspended over my 75G propagation tank on my poarch.

Keep the peace, spread the Faith.

Pat

anope, stopped the thai stick a while back. Now i get all my highs through a chemical reduction of palytoxin and nitrates...

Anyways...

If anyone is interested i'm going to harvest my chaeto this weekend. If someone is around to take it instead of me throwing it in the trash its yours.

man, how do you get your chaeto to grow so well that you prune it every 2 weeks????? I haven't seen any growth in mine since I set up my tank the beginning of this year!!!!

Dose with iron. Try it you may like it.

Pat

Well after a month or so of talking and planning I finally got my biocube drilled (thanks to David aka Epic Reef) and my refugium up and going (again thanks to Daivd) but now I need some cheato. Does anyone have some that they are willing to donate or sale? I prefer someone south or central austin since I live south but anything will help. Please let me know thanks.

Why limity yourself to Chaetomorphy?

Well I do want some other micro but not sure what to put in there

Not to be parsnipaty, but you really want a macro-algae (aka seaweed). Might I suggest you look at reefcleaners.com. Caulerpa would be one option as well as Gracilaria.