Encrusting Gorgonian

runamukus

I'm going to be trimming back some of my encrusting gorgonian, which is pink in color - and it reminds me of Green Star Polyps but not green.

I'm willing to give away the parts I cut away from the back of the tank - and if you feel like you have something you can trade, let me know, but it isn't necessary.

I live in South Austin. In the image, look at the pink stuff on the back of the wall and on the rock in the middle...that is the encrusting gorgonian.

I'm providing it unattached.

;)

Warning when you are cutting this. When I did it in my tank it threw out some really harsh chemical warfare. I almost lost a few corals before I figured out what was going on. Maybe I just had a particularly nasty specimin but figured I would warn ya.

I ended up wire brushing the entire colony so I could still use the live rock it had attached too.

Interesting...I've trimmed this stuff back many times without any issues. I use a razor blade, make a cut then scrape it off the back of the tank. It doesn't like it when I do it (all polyps detract) and I do see it expel some chemicals into the tank. But I only trim right before I do a water change because I did fear that it could potentially be toxic. Thanks for the heads up!

Does yours come off in "sheets" or can you only get little pieces? In my case i can't get sheets of it. If you try to pull it it is a bit too brittle and mHart thought that was anomolous.

If it comes off pretty easily i might pick some up off of you in a few months. Great coral. Loved the way it waved in the current. Just couldn't get it off my rock.