FTS thread

• 2 weeks later...

I currently love my tank!

I got this tank from a family friend who had to get rid of it ASAP. He sold off 90% off the tank, and I took what he had left when it came down to the wire.

Here is what it looked like when I took it in 11/09.

dirty55gal.th.jpg

Very little rock left. He sold off about 90lbs of rock. Lots of fish and corals. When I took it over all that was left was 1 rock with some xenia, a big Kenyan tree, a RTBA who had been through 2 powerheads, 2 Maroon clowns, and a hawkfish. Oh, and that huge ball of chaeto. By the time I got the tank, he had no skimmer on it for over 2 months, no filter, just powerheads, and a basketball sized chunk of chaeto.

I really don't have the extra funds to be in this hobby. But I put all I could spare into the tank.

I bought an AquaC Remora HOB Skimmer, and an Aquaclear Filter for the tank. I still don't have a sump/refugium. I'll get there someday.

I purchased some rock from Mama at Rockin Reefs, just to give the barren wasteland a little more rock.

Here is a pic of the tank from January with the new little bit of rock I could afford.

img7298h.th.jpg

Looks better, but still not the tank I want. I also picked up a Koran Angel from her at the same time. So you see him in this pic!

Wryknow was taking down his tank around this same time, and had a bunch of Aiptasia infected liverock for only 1$/lb. I was able to procure a 20gal tank with light/filter/heater for cheap from a friend so I got 65lbs of liverock.

img0934h.jpg

That rock has been sitting in the 20gal for 2-3months with peppermint shrimp eating the aip, and me injecting aiptasia-x into the ones I could find.

I finally was comfortable enough to move that rock to the 55gal.

The only other additions I have made other than CUC is 4 heads of torch coral, some blue palys, and a target goby. I had a small flatworm problem and wanted to deal with it naturally so I picked the goby.

So here is a FTS from today. I love my tank. Before it always felt like a barren wasteland, and now it feels to be a real live tank!

img7361.th.jpg

Very nice Cindy!

Thanks Dave. I really didn't put too much effort on the FTS....that's probably why is not well in focus and sharp as it should be. I'm going to switch lenses and use Roberts' just to see how it comes out.

Nice Tank...I like the rock you picked out......it has a natural structure. Was it pricey?

Thanks! Coming from you that is a huge compliment.

I went with the BRS pukani dry rock. It is awesome rock and extremely light and porous. I ordered 40 lbs for my 40g and only used 30.

It was about $2.50 a pound when I purchased it.

Thanks! Coming from you that is a huge compliment.

I went with the BRS pukani dry rock. It is awesome rock and extremely light and porous. I ordered 40 lbs for my 40g and only used 30.

It was about $2.50 a pound when I purchased it.

Well, you're welcome.

I suck at taking FTS.. but, here it is!

Well, if you say you suck at it LOL....you just gonna have to practice more. Take sometime from your spring break and practice...that's all it takes. That's the beauty w/digital cameras....you can keep shooting all you want. But I think is a very decent pic. and just have fun and try different settings till you get the right one.

Thanks! Midas blenny is one of my favorites.

Almost all of my livestock comes from either Shane at Fishy Business or Mama.

Nice tank yourself!wink.gif

Awesome. Thanks. I live down the street from Fishy Business. I have stopped in few times. He has great prices on plumbing supplies. It was super convenient to stop by there and get a bulk head when I cracked mine.