SPS turning green

mcallahan

Well, in addition to my comments and links in my first post above which are still good.   The production of flourescing and chromo proteins is very dynamic.  There are multiple factors or variables at play.   Dr. Salih, in research published in this paper 15 years ago, clearly showed a link in fluorescing protein production tied to light intensity.  At intensities too high for the zooxanthellae proteins were made to use as photoprotection, at appropriate levels coral were brown because they didn't need to protect their zooxanthellae and at low levels proteins were made to inhance light to their simbionts.    So changes in intensity can certainly effect a shift to green.  

Additionally age can be a factor as in this Povona cactus coral where the new growth is significantly brighter and greener than the older parts of the colony:

20180319_170805.jpg

Here's an example with polyps with two different color forms.  The older polyps are dark red with lighter red mouths and the younger polyps are green with red mouths.  This difference in colration may be associated with differences in zooxanthellae clades (like in this video) or may be age related and similar to what's seen with branching type corals.  The green and red polyps just below and left of the top is where a rock fell on it, killing the polyps and regrew.

IMG_20190520_170954.jpg

And in this post here, I posted pictures of an acro that showed different colors influenced by water flow

• Like 2

Lets not confuse growth tips/rings with the whole coral turning green Tim.  You trying to draw a conclusion on growth rings.

This is a know these years.  

A coral turning green is almost always related to stress if all other corals in the system are happy.  My PC rainbow is always the canary in the coal mine.  Red=all is well, not red=something is amiss.

While high iron maybe a culprit if the coral stays green its not at all uncommon to get a newly aquired coral to turn green as a frag.

FOR THE RECORD NOT ENOUGH LIGHT IS A STRESSOR TO SPS CORAL.  Much more so then too much.  I havent sucessfully given a high light sps coral too much light.  And i'm rocking over 700 of MH/T5/LED on the newest apogee par meter.