SPS turning green

mcallahan

Aren't vampires just really well dressed and well spoken zombies with magical powers? Or would you say zombies are deadbeat vampires with poor hygiene and a lack of initiative

• Like 1

. . . I' ve never seen any scientific evidence on what turns a coral green (who would cough up the tens of thousands of dollars to fund that study?!). My observation of corals turning is green, specifically SPS corals is that green seems to be a defensive state. I.e...a blue SPS put into a new tank will likely turn green, then with good husbandry, it will turn back to its original color in time.

Coral color is one of the most coveted prizes in reefkeeping. Anyone can buy a pretty coral, but few can keep them colored up and/or retain their original color.

Actually there's a huge amopunt of research that's being done on this subject. The dozen or so articles Dana Riddle has done on fluorescing and chromo proteins and published on AdvancedAquarist.com over the years and the excellent reference lists he includes there are are an excellent place to start. Here are several others I've stumbled across:

http://www.deepseanews.com/2010/09/color-me-stressed Increased fluorescence associated with bleaching

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20952612 Green fluorescent protein regulation during photoacclimation

www.nature.com/srep/2013/130312/srep01421/full/srep01421.html Effects of cold stress and heat stress on coral fluorescence on reef-building corals

Edited by mFrame (Mike)
fixed links

For some reason when I save the post some blank spaces are being added to the link. If you do a cut and past in a search bar you should be able to link to them. I'm looking into what I need to do to prevent this.

I wonder what the google search keyword was that got bryce to show up here...

I Googled "SPS turning green" thanks Mark and to everyone for the replies and links, very much appreciated and I hope this stays in the google search results, haha as I got so many varied responses but very little seems like they were backed by actual experiences. Bryce

I didn't THINK I had crappy water, but my Oregon tort and Cali tort have both turned green, and my raspberry cheesecake acro was dark green when I got it and now it is changing to a reddish orange color

good to c u reply Mark...water husbandry is very key. Seems I have always been able to take a browned/greened out coral and in a month or so color it up. lighting helps also. I got cheap and put a set of MH bulbs I had ran for around 6 mnths back into use and I can tell u my corals suffered. these r JMObservations im not a scientist but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

hi all ..turning green is to do with iron . some phosphate remover are iron based .

dkh is some time over looked if dkh is stable that pulls magnesium & calcium in line

nirates low as well will help in colour this is where i started

• 4 years later...
I heard it was from high Iron in your water

How would you get high iron if not dosing and using a basic salt like instant ocean?
Some of my frags from when I first started are still green. Frags that I’ve gotten over time once the tank somewhat matured stayed the colors it was suppose to be. So was just curious if they would ever color up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, Jen_McG said:

So it now being 2019, anyone have a better idea about the whole green thing???

Corals adapt the zooxanthellae within their structure to changing lighting conditions. EcoTech has developed research into how corals respond to different temperatures and used that research to create light settings within their products (see attachment). I'm assuming a lot of companies in the industry perform similar research, but I'm not sure who was the first to give proper credit. Anyway, most corals change colors from tank to tank mostly due to lighting conditions in different placement areas. Acans and brains are famous for changing to completely different colors and that's why they're seldom named corals. SPS retain colors more readily, but can also change in reaction to less/more light and different PAR levels. IME SPS turn green/brown with predominately yellow/white light in the 2K-5K range and with high nutrient environments. I personally enjoy 18K for viewing.

ReefWholesale_CoralLab.pdf

Corals adapt the zooxanthellae within their structure to changing lighting conditions. EcoTech has developed research into how corals respond to different temperatures and used that research to create light settings within their products (see attachment). I'm assuming a lot of companies in the industry perform similar research, but I'm not sure who was the first to give proper credit. Anyway, most corals change colors from tank to tank mostly due to lighting conditions in different placement areas. Acans and brains are famous for changing to completely different colors and that's why they're seldom named corals. SPS retain colors more readily, but can also change in reaction to less/more light and different PAR levels. IME SPS turn green/brown with predominately yellow/white light in the 2K-5K range and with high nutrient environments. I personally enjoy 18K for viewing.

ReefWholesale_CoralLab.pdf

Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

54 minutes ago, jolt said:

Do you use GFO?  GFO is an iron-based product, but honestly I am not even remotely an expert

I'm really sad that nobody noticed I was just rehashing what was said in this thread years ago when I replied today :(

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, jolt said:

I'm really sad that nobody noticed I was just rehashing what was said in this thread years ago when I replied today :(

Lol I don’t ever question you 😜