SPS turning green

mcallahan

Can someone shed some light on this for me? All (except for 3 species) turned green when they got in my tank.

- Northern Light mille from brooks = turned green

- Pearlberry = turned green

- Blue mille from the mannings = turned green

- pink birdsnest = turned green

- oregon tort = turning green

- cali tort = turning green (I know its supposed to be green/blue, but this is out of control)

- Roscoe's Blue = turned green

All my water parameters are fine and all species were their usual color when they got to my tank.

I know some corals have to "adjust" to your tank, so is green their "base state" meaning that they go to green, then turn their usual color?

I'm sick of green...I had too much of it which is why I got the above corals....now its a sea of green in there.

Aren't you using the RF-fuel system. This might be affecting them as they get used to water quality. Also, I forgot how much lighting do you have?

Dave-

Yes on RF-Fuel. If they are "getting used to it", then I'd bet that green is the "base state" for corals.

Lighting is 2x250 MH, 14K Hamilton bulbs, 1 mo old

2x96W PC actinic, bulbs are 3 months old.

Have just started to turn green. May be stop the dosing or cut back a little. Are you dosing per instructions or building up to it?

Dave-

Things were turning green before the dosing started. I'm dosing per instructions.

My Northern Lights and my Blue Milli and my Red Milli are turning green in some spots too. I've been told this is due to excess amounts of Mg, or a possible low Alkalinity rating.

I'm guessing Mg. My alk stays between 8-9.5. I'll start watching the Mg more frequently and see what difference that makes. OUT! OUT! You demon of green-ness!

Oh hey brooks...did I send you a pic of my new acquisition?

Mark, my guess is that you have either too much iron or too much magnesium. More likely, it's the Mg that'll be high.

Do you have any normally green sps? What do they look like? Are they too dark, or just right?

Mark, my guess is that you have either too much iron or too much magnesium. More likely, it's the Mg that'll be high.

Do you have any normally green sps? What do they look like? Are they too dark, or just right?

I have green stylo that is green like it always has been. I've got another piece of green SPS (have no idea what it is) and its as green as it is was when I got it from John_G.

If i'm not mistaken that's a little low. I keep mine about 1400.

Oh boy. Little_Reef thinks its b/c my Mg is too high, and you are saying its too low! AAAAGGGHHHHH!!! Different opinions...!

j/k. That's why its a hobby.

stay on top of your water changes... i thought mine had greened because of mg but i laid off for a few weeks and nothing happened, started doing weekly changes and colors started to come back. someone suggested that the water had been depleted of necessary trace elements and the water change replaced them. my alk was low as well. so maybe get your dkh up and do a few water changes see if thatll do anything for you.

• 3 years later...

Mark did you ever discover the cause of your SPS turning green? I am having same problem with my blue torts and people are telling me its most likely because I have LEDs (Radion) and to try turning the green down. Thanks

Mark did you ever discover the cause of your SPS turning green? I am having same problem with my blue torts and people are telling me its most likely because I have LEDs (Radion) and to try turning the green down. Thanks

MUAH! OMG...that's funny. I'm not laughing at you, just at the advice of LEDs turn corals green and that turning down the green channel will help. Oh lord...I'm still laughing.

A lot of green light can make corals look green, so turning down/off your green channel can change the visual appearance of a coral, and I strongly doubt that will stop a coral turning green.

I've never seen any scientific evidence on what turns a coral green (who would cough up the tens of thousands of dollars to fund that study?!). My observation of corals turning is green, specifically SPS corals is that green seems to be a defensive state. I.e...a blue SPS put into a new tank will likely turn green, then with good husbandry, it will turn back to its original color in time.

Coral color is one of the most coveted prizes in reefkeeping. Anyone can buy a pretty coral, but few can keep them colored up and/or retain their original color.

• Like 1