Pay it forward frag swap

innate1

I will ditto what just about everyone else is saying. I think it is an intriguing idea but we just gotta know the rules. My biggest question was always in the terminology. Apparently there is an original donor who gives something to a 'sponsor'. Then there is a list of people who wait for the sponsor to grow it out and pay forward a frag of it to the first person on the list. Who does the same thing. Right so far? Do those the sponsors continue to frag out their gift, or is it one and done, discretionary etc.??

But it also seems there must a some sort of limit to how many frags one person can sponsor initially and possibly how many 'waiting lists' you can be on so that a few people don't dominate the whole system for months. Lastly as I recall there is also a published list so everyone knows what to expect, and what is offered. Is the administrator willing to do that? I also suspect there are a few things I haven't considered.

Inquiring minds want to know (and participate) :D

Bill

I guess this is where we would hammer that stuff out. I'm a pretty simple guy, so I would just keep it simple. What rules are really needed? I mean there are and will always be people who use and abuse systems but are they the people you meet here? I don't think so. Everyone I've come into contact with has been generous and giving. So take a coral that interests you, grow coral and offer a frag to someone else. I don't see the need to make it difficult. Maybe I'm wrong. I just love trading coral so I get to meet new people and see ya'lls wonderful tanks.

I guess this is where we would hammer that stuff out. I'm a pretty simple guy, so I would just keep it simple. What rules are really needed? I mean there are and will always be people who use and abuse systems but are they the people you meet here? I don't think so. Everyone I've come into contact with has been generous and giving. So take a coral that interests you, grow coral and offer a frag to someone else. I don't see the need to make it difficult. Maybe I'm wrong. I just love trading coral so I get to meet new people and see ya'lls wonderful tanks.

^ THIS

there are not really "enough" of us to constitute waiting lists and the like..

Maybe we can figure out all the rules at the upcoming meeting? Also, if there needs to be someone responsible for handling all the duties that come along with this program, we would be willing to lend a helping hand. This is a great community and starting something like this here would be awesome!

I can't make the March meeting, but I'm very much interested in doing this locally. My main problem with the MAAST program was that only two of us from up here signed on, and driving four hours round trip for a frag seemed a little over the top to me. ; )

Didn't know we needed an endorsement to help each other out and foster a community. Who knew. Sorry for making waves; pun intended :lol:

In other words, I will not enforce rules. Participate in this program at your own risk. I accept no liability. Now that that's out of the way, please continue. :lol:

I guess it would be a lot easier if there was a way to keep track. I think there should be a limit to how many corals someone has accepted, without fragging them and offering to others as they grow. That would be all the rules and regulations that are needed. If someone wants your coral, and you can look and see that they have taken 5 corals off the forum, and killed 4 and havnt fragged the other one in 7 months, then give it to someone else. Should work. I think it would be a great way to get people into the hobby and set up with really nice tanks.

I'm not likely to participate in any kind of frag swap (since I don't have coral and plan to have only like xenia and GSP in the foreseeable future), but I'd be happy to help. I'm handy when it comes to technical stuff. I could set up a database to track however y'all want this to work and web pages to display and enter information. I don't want to set up forums and all that, since we have that here, but if there are other things that would help, I'd be glad to do what I can.

ej

I'm all for the old school method. Simply put, make plans via PM or a phone call to visit as many other reefers in your lifetime as possible. Bring a little of what you got and beg/persuade them for a little bit of what they have. I've not yet been able to understand why anyone would need a super complicated system to do that. Actually my best gut theory is that people have a fear or or lack of social skills and look for a quick way to hop on. At least once a week I try to visit somebody elses tank and either trade frags or just pay a little cash for them. The last meeting we had, another reefing family was beyond kind and brought a huge cooler full of frags for everyone to take home. There were at least 3 frags per person. So better than organizing a complicated method that might take months to pay out, just network.

Once I get some zoas to take off I wouldnt mind trading, etc. First I need to get the frags though lol. Unless someone wants a frag of clove polyps. I think that meetings would be a good place as more people would be there.

Edited by Kkiel02

I'm not likely to participate in any kind of frag swap (since I don't have coral and plan to have only like xenia and GSP in the foreseeable future), but I'd be happy to help. I'm handy when it comes to technical stuff. I could set up a database to track however y'all want this to work and web pages to display and enter information. I don't want to set up forums and all that, since we have that here, but if there are other things that would help, I'd be glad to do what I can.

ej

You could participate with xenia and gsp. do you have any yet? I'll start you off when your ready. the database would be cool not my forte, but when you meet people like the mannings that have so much knowledge and are so giving you just want to help pay some of that back. See a need meet a need. LMK when you want your xenia.

You could participate with xenia and gsp. do you have any yet? I'll start you off when your ready. the database would be cool not my forte, but when you meet people like the mannings that have so much knowledge and are so giving you just want to help pay some of that back. See a need meet a need. LMK when you want your xenia.

How very kind of you! I'm not quite ready yet. The tank is still cycling after a crash. It will probably be a couple weeks before I'm ready to think about checking parameters to see if the tank is ready for new life. In the meantime, I'll just let it run and feed the 4 surviving nassarius snails. (A couple of them were cruising the surface under the lighter earlier today, so I'm taking that as a sign that they need a bit of food.)

One thing I heard early on is that if you do something suddenly in this hobby, it's generally the wrong thing. So I plan on taking lots of time this time around.

I'll send you a PM when the tank seems ready. Thanks so much.

ej

im up for the tade of frags and pay it forward.

I currently have plenty of kena, anthilia, xenia, gsp, green zoas, some eagle eye, red zoas, red cap

I am looking for some interesting zoas, like nuclear green, armor of god, fire and ice.

things grow pretty fast in my tank.

Just got some frags of metor shower, strawberry green monti, superman monti.

once they grow I will be looking for trades.