The Great Live Rock Specimen Contest!

John Maloney

Okay so here are the contest rules:

You submit a link to a picture here, or on our website to some kind of cool coralline or successful encrusting sponge, or feather duster colony that you got on a rock, etc.... I narrow it down to the top 10 or so, and then the whole of the Internet gets to vote on it at www.reefcleaners.org the weekend after next. Top 3 get $50 gift certificates. If they would like to participate in our rock seeding program, (explained below) I will pay all costs.

Why we are doing the contest, ideas we are looking for:

We took your advice on the base rock, and have gotten great reviews and it is starting to really move, we appreciate it, and Sallie Mae does too. :)

So we are thinking of taking the next logical step and grow seed for the base rock. We will use smaller rubble fragments to make up the package. 100% aquaculture, and pest free, We are coming up with a list on what to seed the rock with. So far we got:

stomatellas

dwarf ceriths

colonistas

mini stars

asterinas

microfauna from established tank

feather dusters

purple, pink, and green coralline

some corals - or is this a bad idea because it limits other coral selections people can make? Let me know....

maybe some sponges

tunicates? not sure on that one

possibly some plating coralline spread throughout the mix

what would you like to see? Any particular species one of the ones we listed?

• 2 weeks later...