Starting Peninsula (hopefully)

Josh Kinsell

Hi All! 

I just moved back to Texas (spent a few years in London, then a few in Cali, but now back).  Originally from the area but had moved to Dallas after school.

I have a space in my house that will fit a 72" peninsula and will be the center piece in my living room/kitchen area.  I kept a sump from my old 6ft setup and somehow have 3 skimmers still so was thinking I'd just get a tank and stand/canopy and use my old items from my setup a couple years ago.  In the quoting process for the tank but the quotes are higher than I thought honestly.  I like the waterbox peninsula 7225 so looking at similar sizes from Planet Aquarium and Custom Aquariums but their costs are much more than the all-in-one system and that feels weird to me. 

So before I pull the trigger, does anyone have experience with Waterbox/Planet/Custom and can help me understand the additional costs and what I'm getting (higher quality, etc.)?   Maybe I should look into getting a stand/canopy locally as this is 60% of the costs of Planet/Custom.

TIA!

Josh

I've had aquariums that come with everything (CoralVue T32 system including tank, sump, stand, plumbing), and I also have a Planet custom with components and plumbing I selected myself.  The tradeoff is accepting what someone else has decided for a component list versus getting exactly what you want.  If you are picky the extra money for a non-packaged system can be worth it,  but if you are more interested in convenience, startup time, and saving money then the package can be a better deal.  Of course some of the packages have poor quality components or various other issues so it's always good to look for reviews and experiences with whatever you get.  I would add that with a package you are likely getting a system from China and they often have plumbing that is metric so finding parts or making modifications can be challenging.  With Planet you are getting American made up the road in Dallas.

• 3 months later...

I finally got my tank delivered this week!  I was wondering if the anyone in the club or the club itself has any moving suction cups?  My tank is in the garage now but once I finish building the stand, will need to get some help moving the tank and I know suction cups makes the hard work a little easier.

Thanks,

Josh