SPS issues color and extention

Genius marketing on tritons part. Sells you al-po4 remover, tells you your al is too high lol :P

GFO would get rid of arsenic as well, although I have serious doubts you have arsenic in your tank. Do you see why I dont like ICP now? They got you chasing things that might be real, but cant be proven!

1 minute ago, victoly said:

Genius marketing on tritons part. Sells you al-po4 remover, tells you your al is too high lol :P

GFO would get rid of arsenic as well, although I have serious doubts you have arsenic in your tank. Do you see why I dont like ICP now? They got you chasing things that might be real, but cant be proven!

I can see this clearly now, so what are your thought on dosing the other products they recommend? its like $260.00 in chems just to get where they think i need to be. 

Now that i think about it, things were actually doing pretty good starting to color up, until i started to run the AL99. 

IMO they overcomplicate. 

In order of importance. Temperature, Dissolved Oxygen, Alkalinity, Salinity, PAR, Calcium, Phosphate, Nitrogen, and Magnesium are the only things you need to worry about. Not all can be monitored in real time, but IMO there arent reliable ways of measuring or taking action on nearly anything else. I think ICP might be OK for presence/absence, but I dont think there is consensus among experts in that analytical field that believe ICP-OES is accurate enough to make decisions on for trending. Just my unsolicited 2 cents. 

I have been reading up on heavy metals and effects on coral tissue, there are a few papers written regarding the subject and they all led to mortality in most cases 100% in just over a matter of days. hopefully it changes quickly in my system and i can get it straightened out. This makes me think about @eddie-maximus when he had the issue, im not sure that we ever discussed heavy metals, i knw we discussed the marine pure blocks causing nitrate to drop, but he had both nitrate and phosphates, could be the same thing. 

Quick update my nitrate has been pretty stable the last 2 days at 5 which im ok with, but my Po4 is rising, i mixed up 50gals more or less of saltwater and the apex is doing the water change right now, ive cut out the pellets and feeding mysis in the morning rinsed with rodi water, and still feeding the rods at night, still running carbon and rowaphos, if it continues to climb ill kick on the GFO reactor. 

• Like 3

Ok, so the water change only brought down the P04 to .17 ( hanna) that was roughly 30gals auto top off, i left 20 gals off the auto water change as backup, but i decided to vac the sand out in the corners where the detritus tends to build up, as well as the sump ( which was already pretty clean). P04 is down to .07 ( Hanna) with the added GFO, nitrates are still holding at roughly 3 ( Elos) i did add the trace elements the ICP test suggested, but i did only 1/2 amounts due to the water change. Triton trace elements are not cheap, but with the little amount needed its really not that bad. The LPS little that i have have responded favourably i think more to the trace elements less to the water change. the SPS seem to be holding where they are no more bleaching, the anemone didnt like the changes and deflated for a couple days, but seems to recovered well, actually better. its starting to bubble up vs before being longer and fat. Im not sure how much this was water chemistry or the radion G5 upgrade. Par is the same after checked with the Seneye Par/Per meter ( glad i didn't sell this thing a while back)  im running the radions at 70% 10 inches off the water. ill give it a couple more weeks to see if the sps start to color back up. 

• Like 2