Johns 135 Cube build

HarleyGuy

The plan on the stand is to build hardwood skins that will connect using rare earth magnets and will be stained to match my cherry kitchen cabinets. The hanging light canopy will also be hardwood and stained the same. This is the last item in the build to complete.

• Like 1

Great list, are you going manifold or pumps for you reactors? id upgrade the pump if your going manifold or maybe add a second cor 15 for redundancies. Kessil is supposedly in production  of a new grow light thats tun-able more to the macro horticulture. that might be interesting. I run Triton so of course turn over and fuge is what i focus on most during build out. 

On 2/25/2020 at 11:21 PM, HarleyGuy said:

Lol, thanks guys, much appreciated. I’ll put together the hardware list tomorrow. It’s a long list! 😊

What do you think of the list? Ask me questions If you have any, please hit me up. 🙂

Cube Hardware.jpg

The list looks awesome.  Did you have any trouble getting Planet to drill for the modular marine overflow?

13 hours ago, mhart032 said:

Great list, are you going manifold or pumps for you reactors? id upgrade the pump if your going manifold or maybe add a second cor 15 for redundancies. Kessil is supposedly in production  of a new grow light thats tun-able more to the macro horticulture. that might be interesting. I run Triton so of course turn over and fuge is what i focus on most during build out. 

Thanks! I'm building a manifold and going with 2 separate pumps. I have them on the list, a Neptune Cor 15 for the return and a Reef Octopus Varios-6 for the manifold. I have a spare Varios-6, but I wanted to try one of the Cor pumps on this build. I may plumb it so that I have a redundant return path from the manifold as well. 

Yes, I agree on turn over rate with the fuge being extremely important and I definitely looked at the new Kessil A360X.  However, I ended up getting the Kessil H380 Grow light primarily because of the $150 difference in price. I've dumped a ton of money in this build and I'm hoping that the difference in Chaeto growth rates wont be substantial. 🙂

5 hours ago, jolt said:

The list looks awesome.  Did you have any trouble getting Planet to drill for the modular marine overflow?

Thanks! No actually Planet asked me to send the overflow to them so that they could ensure the drilled holes were perfect. I just got the tank delivered today by River City and the holes line up exact 🙂

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HarleyGuy said:

I ended up getting the Kessil H380 Grow light primarily because of the $150 difference in price. I've dumped a ton of money in this build and I'm hoping that the difference in Chaeto growth rates wont be substantial. 🙂

The H380 is a great light, i have to cut my Chaeto back every other week roughly 5-6 lbs. its like a thick mat by the end of 2 weeks in my 25gal fuge. this pic is from the last batch in a 30gal trash can 

20200105_171158.jpg

1 hour ago, mhart032 said:

The H380 is a great light, i have to cut my Chaeto back every other week roughly 5-6 lbs. its like a thick mat by the end of 2 weeks in my 25gal fuge. this pic is from the last batch in a 30gal trash can 

20200105_171158.jpg

That's awesome! Thanks, this is what I'm looking for.

Question all. I’m putting an Mp40 on 3/4” glass not holding in its own. If I had a clip or mount for the top edge of the glass to hold the cable that would probably do it unless there are better ideas? I also need a mount to route the cable on the top of the glass. How do I proceed?  Thanks!

On 2/29/2020 at 8:53 PM, HarleyGuy said:

I definitely do if it’s clean. I got some from another guy, put it in a white container and it was loaded with stuff (stuff you wouldn’t want in your tank). 😊

I understand that completely, currently i give it to John at reefcleaner.org but ive never seen anything in it, i dont have aptasia or anything like that i dip everything i get. I know some are prone to bristle worms as well, but ive never seen any in mine and because it goes to John i inspect it and pull it apart to make sure im not sending him anything he cant use. 

4 hours ago, mhart032 said:

I understand that completely, currently i give it to John at reefcleaner.org but ive never seen anything in it, i dont have aptasia or anything like that i dip everything i get. I know some are prone to bristle worms as well, but ive never seen any in mine and because it goes to John i inspect it and pull it apart to make sure im not sending him anything he cant use. 

That sounds good. I'll ping you when I get to the part where I'm starting to see some Nitrates in the tank.

Here is the new tank. You can kinda get a feel for the 3foot x 3foot Rimless size and the 3/4” glass with polished edges. The blacked out back is a vinyl provided by Planet, very cool. I love the Modular Marine overflow as well. It also came with a 1" PVC bottom that is also black. I love this Planet Aquariums build!  

7C7C16E3-F966-44A5-A70C-3B397EC78CA2.jpeg

546D5B60-6DF0-4130-96C5-6041151A1353.jpeg

AF3FBCAE-55BD-4725-90BD-CEE2E69237EE.jpeg

• Like 3