Socks Vs Sponge

MrZ2u

I have one of the AIO type aquariums and it came with filter socks for the overflows.  Being an obsessive DIY type I of course had to have those removed and the media shelf types put in their place.  I have since decided that I dont need and I dont use those shelves but for the top one where I have a pair of sponges to catch gunk.  I am thinking of pulling those since they are not doing a hell of a lot and using the socks to get a little finer trapping of said gunk.  Any pros or cons in your opinions?

Well thats kinda why I am thinking of switching.  I have a very open cell sponge on top of a much finer one right now and cleaning them isnt a big deal...its more that I think stuff is getting past them cause I have to clean out the back about every three months or so. 

I think the socks would trap more and maybe even be a little simpler to clean???  

I dont use either on my tank... BUT when i had the waterbox setup.. I used socks due to not wanting to clean that area, to small a place for detrus and buildup and to clean it was a disaster on the waterbox, nevermind the fact that you cant see anything, the fact that i had to remove the skimmer, which is really hard to adjust in that small area, and get the bags of carbon and GFO out and TRY not to dump nasty stuff into the display in the process.. No thank you! 

On 2/13/2020 at 2:37 PM, victoly said:

personal preference really. its a little hard to say without seeing your setup, but i prefer socks or sock derivative (cups with floss/media)

Its an Innovative Marine Lagoon 25...this is a shot down into the back side.  There would be socks or sponges on both sides...here it has the socks but they have never been used before.

iFijwc9.jpg

Edited by MrZ2u