bgautrea

BG's 180 Reef

So I finally broke down and built a 180. I've had a 40B for about the last 5 years and have wanted to go to a large tank for about the last 4 years and 10 months. I got a PA 180 with the stand and canopy. Ordered it a few weeks back from Jake and Francis over at RCA and it came in last week.

Got my 40B moved to a temporary home in my laundry room this past Friday and the new tank in the house on Saturday and plumbed by Sunday.

I plan on re-using my lights (Kessil A350 and AI Hydra 26HD), return and skimmer Axium X120... At least until the skimmer wont suit me anymore.

Over the last several months I have been collecting a lot of what I needed like rock, sand, a big fat gyre powerhead and plumbing parts. I also ordered baffles from Melev's reef for a new 40B sump that I picked up during a dollar a gallon sale a couple of years ago.

I was given a set of hand-me-down 4' T5HOs with Coral Plus bulbs and 48 DIY CREE LEDs, heatsinks, and dimmable power supplies. 

I've had rock in an old 46 bow front for the last 2.5 months. Started adding microbacter7 bacteria and snails to it about 1.5 months ago then a bottle of 5280 Pods and phytoplankton from algae barn a few weeks back.

I got the sand and rock into the tank after getting water flowing through (using a 20Long as a temporary sump) and have an old Remora HOB skimmer running in it for the very interim as well. All my snails are roaming around the tank now and I've also started to see the pods that I added on the glass. I've also added another does of Dr. Tims One and Only to kick more bacteria in.

Now to wait it out before adding any fish and getting coral moved from the old 40B. My plan is also to frag all the coral from the old 40B so i can get rid of the rock and the pests I managed to get in the 40 over the last 5 years (mostly little brown flatworms and these green tentacled coralimorphs that i cant figure out for the life of me how to get rid of).

Speaking of fish, my thoughts on fish are:

• Royal Gramma (my only fish in the 40b)
  • 4x Lyretail Anthias
  • Snowflake Clown
  • Kole Tang
  • Maybe a Nasso Tang
  • Wrasse (not sure what type yet)
  • and maybe a Bicolor Angel or Venestus Angel

Below are pics I've taken so far.

IMG_20191006_180325.jpg

IMG_20191007_164151.jpg

IMG_20191007_165945.jpg

IMG_20191007_165951.jpg

IMG_20191009_173414.jpg

IMG_20191009_173458.jpg

Look and sounds great!  How did you plumb your drain stand pipes?

Edited by BBMarlin

Thanks...

I plumbed a bean animal overflow with a close channel (full siphon), open channel, and emergency drain into the overflow box. The drains were a real PITA though and the tideline external overflow needs some improvements. The biggest problem was squeezing the 90s into the external box. I had to trim the 90s to get them to fit inside. it was a lot of trial and error.

This is it behind the tank right now. You can see that the 90s barely fit in there and you can almost see how much I had to cut off (the logo stamped on the 90 is halfway missing on the open channel) of the 90 to get it to fit.

IMG_20191009_182450.jpg

IMG_20191009_182421.jpg

• Like 1