Combine sub-topics?

jestep

Due to a whole load of personal stuff, I don't get on the forum frequently. But, I wanted to suggest to the mods / admin, maybe combining the subtopics back into the main ones at this point. I know there was a bunch of splitting about 4 or 5 years ago because it got overly complicated to keep track of everything in one forum. Was just looking at the general lack of activity these days and it's depressing for sure.

I know facebook has sucked up a lot of the daily what/how/where posts, which is really unfortunate because it's a god awful platform for something as complex as reef keeping, or aquarium keeping in general, but just wanted to make this suggestion to maybe make it a little less difficult to see all the posts without having to click through a bunch of individual forums. I try to push people to this forum as often as possible. Facebook is just one and done, never see a topic again, so you get the same questions all the time, with weird incomplete responses and what I can only describe as some sort of fanboy up-votes frequently on incorrect advice. There's no accountability or posterity in using facebook for advice that can cost people hundreds to thousands of dollars as well as significant emotional stress when someone accepts s*** advice from someone.

I also think the theme or platform change from the past hasn't helped. I don't use a phone, most forum software has much more user friendly ways to track topics that a user subscribes to, which this one used to, but that's been gone for years now. For an example, vBulletin forums have a settings page which shows all personal recent topics, it's absolutely the best page on the forum with all subscribed threads and subscribed forums, and this one used to have the exact same page, but no longer does. I can see my own activity, but it's not organized in a way that allows me to see threads with new replies at the top.

Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there. I'm trying to get more involved again, but this has been one of the best resources I've ever seen including the huge reef forums, for quality advice that sticks around. Is a shame to see the activity down so much.

Edited by jestep
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have to agree ARC is the best place to track what is successful long term.   I'm not sure what would be the best way to condense the topics but it seems to  me something could be done.   Maybe something based more on science.  The shut down of exports from Fiji and Indonesia and the restriction of fish collection in Hawai'i I think is a wakeup call.  We need to be focusing on sustainable practices that let us keep our animals for at least their normal life expectancies.   We have tons of science now which paints a drasticly different picture about how reefs work than what most aquarists are being told.  After 30 years it's sad to see new aquarists still have a horrendous failure rate.   If we compare how long we keep fish or corals to keeping cats or dogs most of us are while they are still kittens or puppies.

• Like 1

I came on here almost every day to see what's going on...which is usually not much. Came on the other day and the last 20ish posts on the activity tab were from AquaSD. 

Nothing agains AquaSD...they are a great company...but just as you said...was kinda depressing when most of what I saw were only advertisements.

I usually stick with Reef2reef...since that forum is always kicking.