BBMarlin's 125G - Skimmerless SPS Reef

BBMarlin

I'm beginning to look at calcium reactors...I've been researching dual reactors and I've got my eyes on the Geo dual 6".  I've never run a CaRx before so I'm curious what you guys experiences are?  Should I go with a dual?   I plan on having a fairly stocked SPS tank, but I'm definitely not going to over do it this time around and keep colonies trimmed.  The 8" version will not fit in my stand so if nothing else I'm thinking the dual 6" so I can have more media and contact time as compared to a single and therefor less maintenance in addition to increased PH (marginal) and ALK with the effluent.  Am I on the right track?

Edited by BBMarlin

I run a 6" geo single on my frag tank (70 gallons) and a 8"x6" geo dual on my display (180).  It's funny but the Ph on my frag tank runs higher than my display even though I put the dual stage on to counteract Ph drops.  Go figure.  I've been very happy with both units.  From my own experience I would say run the single if you are space limited and you will be fine.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jolt said:

I run a 6" geo single on my frag tank (70 gallons) and a 8"x6" geo dual on my display (180).  It's funny but the Ph on my frag tank runs higher than my display even though I put the dual stage on to counteract Ph drops.  Go figure.  I've been very happy with both units.  From my own experience I would say run the single if you are space limited and you will be fine.

Thanks @jolt.

With the dual are you having to maintain it a lot less than the single?  I imagine that the demands of your display are probably higher than your frag tank but I'm curious if having the dual will allow me to have half of the maintenance, either with media or other?

• 2 weeks later...

AWC Implemented!

Finished up the water station/stand set up today.  Tank Depot didn’t have a matching tank for my 65, so I opted for this 50.  I think the 50 will be fine however, it does have a nice large lid on it so at least I can dump salt in without making a mess.   Really hoping the water tank Nazis will not call me out for not having matching tanks.  😜

Everything is set up on the Apex for the automatic water change up stairs with the dirty water plumed into the adjacent sink drain, sooo nice!   The Apex indeed is loud during the water change, so I will run it during the middle of the night.

IMG_6084.jpg

• Like 3

I ordered a Geo single stage reactor today and now I'm looking at regulators.  I was initially going to get a carbon doser but research has lead me to a custom built dual stage off ebay from (affinityaquatics).  Thought I would see if there was any guidance from you guys (single vs dual stage, carbon doser feeback) before I make another big purchase?  Thanks.

I have two industrial grade stainless steel dual stage regulators from Alan Le.  I love them!  The ones affinityaquatics is selling on ebay look nice.    I have no experience with other regulators, but would not hesitate to go the same route if I did it again.

• Like 1

I use dual smith gauges. 4 years on a previous tank. 2 years on current tank. The chrome will pit, if you splash salt water all over it, all the time, and fail to wipe it off.

https://www.amazon.com/Gas-Regulator-100-Carbon-Dioxide/dp/B0036ZDVNO?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffnt-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0036ZDVNO

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's a Beaut Clark!

Regulator came in today, such a nice piece of equipment.  I'm still waiting on the Geo reactor, hope to get that in about a week. 

Tank is looking great, I was battling some hair algae but that is now finally going away.  First SPS frag went into the the tank last week (ORA - Skyline Granulosa) and it seems to be doing quite well on the frag rack.   Have a biota captive bred yellow tang in QT which is also doing well, hope to introduce him into the display in about a week.

IMG_6121.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, jolt said:

Yeah super nice regulator!

21 minutes ago, victoly said:

That looks like a very, very nice regulator...what did you end up going with?

Thanks!  Here are the specs:

Matheson 3810 Series Stainless Steel 100 PSI Stainless Steel Regulator w/ full 316L SS CGA 320 CO2 connection

Clippard EV Mouse Solenoid

Whitey SS 22RS4 Metering Valve with Vernier fine adjustment handle

It's overkill I know!  This is one part of the build that I didn't want to compromise quality.

Had an unexpected package arrive today!  I was a little worried it was not going to fit, but lo and behold it does and with barely a few millimeters to spare.  Glad I spent extra time on the plumbing to maximize my space in the stand!

IMG_6135.jpg

IMG_6134.jpg

• Like 1

It’s nice when the universe throws you a bone! Are you going to manifold feed it or use something else ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Indeed! Initially I was thinking I would run it off the manifold but after talking to the GEO folks, I decided to go with a dedicated small sicce (.5) pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

300% Over Budget

Alright @victolyyou win, not quite as cool as you with the Masterflex but we will see how well this Kamoer pump holds up.   My future self thanks you for the advice 😁, my current self is wondering how I spent so much on this set up ...lol

My CaRX is now complete!  Now the fun starts of setting it up and tuning it.  Even with my 1 gallon / day AWC my Alk is still running < 6 and this is just with my LPS coral.  Going to need to add some buffer this weekend and start working towards stability with the calcium reactor.

IMG_6144.jpg

Edited by BBMarlin
  • Like 2

very nice. i really like those pumps a lot. honestly, I had the masterflex before the kamoers were out, but if i was going to do it again i would have probably gone that way. Please update it once its in operation. The main complaint i have heard about them is related to how they operate after a power outage. make sure and do some testing with cutting power to it and how it responds. 

• Like 1

Three Amigos

My three test frags are: Pearl Berry (non ORA, RCA frag rack type), ORA Skyline Granulosa, PC Rainbow.

(ignore the Christmas tree and the twisted arms in the background holding the orange filter, lol)

IMG_6156.jpg

Edited by BBMarlin
  • Like 4