Waning Forum Activity

boognish

What can we do to get the community back and get this forum rollin again?  While I have not contributed as much in past year or so (mainly so I didn't buy anything!), I've checked in occasionally and I'm bummed to see the lack of activity compared to what it used to have.  I am paying more attention to my tank(s) lately and therefore checking back to these forums more often. I see many new faces - experienced and new reefers - on the FB page(s) who are asking questions and getting answers.  This would be a better ...forum... for that activity than FB.  It offers better organization via categorization and most importantly is a better research and learning tool via archives. Many of the conversations and questions I see on FB have been covered extensively here and many that haven't, should be, in my opinion.  Let's make this more than @FarmerTy personal area to show off!   Ideas?  Am I just old and FB is the new way?  From what my kids tell me, FB is for the old people.  I hear @Photodude (jakedoza) has been working to get TOTM since it was last presented in 2010.  Let's give him that chance!

• Like 2

I think you have discovered the Facebook effect. Compare your posts here with what you post on Facebook. While these forums are the best at info they do not reach the number of people that Faceplant does. Buying, selling, messaging, exchanging pictures ect is just too easy. Like IRC, Napster and My Space, if they dont change, and in this case its difficult to do that,  draw in new users, they slowly ride off into the sunset. As your kids have told you, Facebook will too.

@Dogfish - Yup - I absolutely agree that it is the "Facebook effect".  I rarely post on FB because of the number of people it reaches - specifically the number of companies who end up with that data in addition to my friends and their friends and use it for marketing. 'Like' one of the members posts that included a product mention and now,  everywhere I browse, I'm prompted to buy it and many similar products.  I guess It's a personal privacy preference that seems to not be an issue for many.  The quick answers and instant gratification on FB helps the individual, while posting here and getting answers allows us to look up the person, see their experience level, and most importantly lets others find solutions in the future.   I do see the advantages of buying/selling, quick picture posting, and promoting your business/services on FB, however.   Perhaps there's a way to push/pull forum posts to/from FB and bring the two together @mFrame?  << another classy call out!

What can we do to get the community back and get this forum rollin again?  While I have not contributed as much in past year or so (mainly so I didn't buy anything!), I've checked in occasionally and I'm bummed to see the lack of activity compared to what it used to have.  I am paying more attention to my tank(s) lately and therefore checking back to these forums more often. I see many new faces - experienced and new reefers - on the FB page(s) who are asking questions and getting answers.  This would be a better ...forum... for that activity than FB.  It offers better organization via categorization and most importantly is a better research and learning tool via archives. Many of the conversations and questions I see on FB have been covered extensively here and many that haven't, should be, in my opinion.  Let's make this more than [mention=463]FarmerTy[/mention] personal area to show off!   Ideas?  Am I just old and FB is the new way?  From what my kids tell me, FB is for the old people.  I hear [mention=1061]Photodude (jakedoza)[/mention] has been working to get TOTM since it was last presented in 2010.  Let's give him that chance!
Even though I am only in my second year of membership, I do have to agree with boognish.

I look at my own posts, weather it be identifying, general questions, or like my latest post of trying to sell out because of health problems. The replies are close to non existent and the viewed are basically 0 to 4.

When I first joined I was recieving new post notifications on the daily. Now it's every other month.

What is the point of a paid membership other than access to the buy/sell section which is 90% useless for me because I only have softies and the corals that do go up are hard corals? I end up googling just about everything because the help for a new reefer like me just is not there any more.

How about being a community like we are supposed to be instead of blasting out on someone who made a suggestion ? Every reply was just that!

I did not see a single post offering any ideas on how to get our forums up and running like it used to be.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I miss ARC too! I think it's much better suited for this type of thing. Plus I only get on Facebook shortly every month or two. Maybe we should all just start posting here again 😉

10 minutes ago, KimP said:

Maybe we should all just start posting here again 😉

Exactly what I hoped this post would do!  For the most part, it seems to be working.  That and to get the discussion going and bring some ideas to the table on how we can make it useful to everyone - new/young and old reefers.

I just got called out by the @boognish.. I've been screaming the same exact thing for years bro!.. then again when FB decided to start putting snowflakes in charge of the whole "animals for sale" crap and deleting posts and banning people for days. Who's down for a Donny Brook!!!  Forums are where it is at. Records can be researched.. wait.. let me repeat myself for you young people that want instant gratification without researching. Sorry not sorry if I hurt your feewings... YOU CAN RESEARCH old threads on crap that comes up every effing week. @Timfish has done long term research on topics that people to this day are trying to figure out for the billionth time how to do and bicker about on FB..  All of this has reminded me that I need to get my "Evolution of my reef tank" site up and going...  ****, 10 years is a long time to have a fish. 

• Like 2