Tiny brown flatworms

Nathan Yates

Does anyone have experience dealing with? They appeared seemingly overnight on the glass. I'm going to pick up a couple wrasses tomorrow. I've read they won't affect corals but they can overpopulate and kill from toxicity after dying.

Screenshot_20190510-180738_Gallery.jpg

I have had 2 types of flat worms. The outbreak of red ones in my old tank I used flat worm exit and it worked. The new tank, I have red ones in my fuge and nothing will get rid of them. I have not tried a blue nudi. Once it eats them, it will starve with out more. I  have 2 wrasses and so far the worms have not spread to the tank. I believe they need light to propagate. The white ones with forked tail appeared in the fuge for about a month then went away.

I've dealt with them in the past too. Before I had wrasses I got a Springer's damsel. Really nice looking peaceful little fish. I've never seen a flatworm since. I got that little fish 6 years ago and it's still going strong.

Definitely a melanurus will tackle them.  In my experience the ones in your picture can show up in great numbers seemingly overnight but with time their numbers will steadily diminish. 

• 4 weeks later...

+1 on the Wrasse. I had an outbreak of those that shot up overnight. I tried two rounds of flatworm exit, and it temporarily reduced populations, but they would bounce back. After adding a Saowisata wrasse (Halichoeres binotopsis ) they were eradicated. I presume any Wrasse in the Halichoeres genus will work. Good luck with your duo of hunters!

• Like 1