Coral problem, what do you think?

Dogfish

x

I have a problem. Water changes are helping (sorto of) 1 year old tank.
3ea 10% water changes in the past 3 days. Added a metal absorption packet this week.
Noticed higher P and N, because of feeding the NPS. P went from .1 to .25 over 3 months and N went from 4 to 12 over the same period of time.
I have reduced the P to back to .1 with GFO and stopped feeding so much to reduce the N.
Timfish would prob ask; I have tried to syphon out a lot of junk in my fuge. It has ulva. I also cleaned the fuge glass.
Also started on a carbon dosing thing to bring N down. All of this the last few days to help fix the issue.
History:
A month a go, bought a nem. I missed 1 weekly DT water change while I was treating it.
I had a brief drop in alk. 9.0 to 8.7. Brought it back up over 2 weeks to 9.2 then back to 9.0 normal.
When the nem was introduced to the tank it move to a mushroom covered shell and might have stung a few.
They have now just about all disappeared on that shell.
At the same time I increased my LEDs from 65% to 70% and upped the white a bit for the nem. I reduced it back to the old levels when things went south.
To add another variable, I bought 2 toadstool leathers from another reefer. They had to be cut off rocks, so they were not happy.
Dipped and added but that might have not killed off any bad unseen organisms.
Changed out the carbon just incase warfare was going to happen.
I also found some Red Sea part A and B and decided to dose it 1 time so see what would happen. Maybe not a good thing.
About the same time the oak pollen appeared. When it rained my water tank turned a nice brown color (rain water supplied house)
I dont mind the look in a water glass, but the smell is not pleasant.
Like last year I added some bleach to my water tank (1ppm). This helped make it drinkable last year and sort of this year.
Last year no effect on my coral.
It goes thru 4 filters, next to last is a 20" carbon 0.5 micron before going into my 6 stage rodi unit.
2 weeks ago I noticed a problem with some of my coral. Things happen all at the same time.
My urchin decided to run over my 18" colony of trumpets and most of the heads were either eaten or knocked off and are now floating around the tank.
My other smaller trumpet colonies have lost their heads and I dont know why. Maybe it decided they taste great and ate them when i was not looking.
It also ran over the top of my duncan colony 12 heads, and now its gone.
Now for the real issue.
My wall frogspawn dropped almost all of its guts, just a small amount remains. My 2 dendros lost all the heads.(3 months in tank) Sun coral is doing well.(added at the same time)
My acan lost 2 heads and the remaining 4 are fair to Midland with the water changes.
The nem is great. The other frogspawns I have are great.
The leathers are doing well as well as one I have had for 9 months.
I have mushrooms that are great and splitting. Torches are great. Bubble is growing. Chalice is growing.
No increase in algae or cyano in the tank.

So was it:
Oak tannins in the oak pollen that effected my tank?
Pathogens introduced from other corals?
Coral war?
Floating heads killing other corals?
Drop in Alk for 1 week?
All of the above?
Some thing Im missing?

What was the magnesium?  I'm going to say something missed or unknown if polyps are stopping calcification and dropping off their skeleton.

Are you using red and blue grow lights on your refugium?   Had a very brief conversation with Nic from BML at the frag swap and they stopped selling grow lights with just the red and blue spectrum because of (some very complicated reason) it screwed with the plants some how.  Seems reasonable those LED lights may cause problems if used on refugiums.

3 hours ago, Timfish said:

What was the magnesium?  I'm going to say something missed or unknown if polyps are stopping calcification and dropping off their skeleton.

Are you using red and blue grow lights on your refugium?   Had a very brief conversation with Nic from BML at the frag swap and they stopped selling grow lights with just the red and blue spectrum because of (some very complicated reason) it screwed with the plants some how.  Seems reasonable those LED lights may cause problems if used on refugiums.

The  magnesium hovers between 1475 and 1500.

The fuge light is a Viparspectra V300.

61_P_1551293939031.jpg

www.viparspectra.com:.webloc