Anyone know how to vent a fish (Swim Bladder Issue)

WantToReef512

Does anyone here know how to vent a fish? I have a wrasse that was shipped with a swim bladder issue. It’s one of the ways to save it, but it’s a pretty advanced technique. I'm trying to see if I can get help with this. It's a yellow coris wrasse that has it:

Edited by WantToReef512

I've done it twice with anthias and used the video above for guidance.  I had three fish I needed to vent.  I was successful with two of them, and they are healthy and healthy today.  The third I did not pull sufficient gas out of the bladder and had to repeat the procedure.  That fish developed an infection at the site of puncture and didn't make it.

Tips: 

• Make sure the fish is well illuminated from below.  I used a glass casserole with a cheap LED puck underneath.  I placed a piece of tape to block the light at the head of the fish because I felt it was too bright for its eyes. 
  • Get the smallest diameter needle you can.  I bought an insulin syringe from Walgreens Rx. 
  • Enlist a second set of hands to hold the fish while you do the venting.  You need to withdraw the gas slowly and this takes a steady hand.
  • Have a QT tank set up in advance to receive the fish.  It's not going to like the procedure very much and needs peace to recover. 
  • Don't skip the sanitizing procedure or iodine. Would not hurt to put the fish through metroplex/kanaplex while in the QT as well.
  • If you have a healthy one, examine it under the light first to see what size you are aiming to get the bladder down to.

I hated having to try it for fear of killing the fish but resolved myself that if I didn't it wasn't going to make it long term anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sierra Bravo said:

I've done it twice with anthias and used the video above for guidance.  I had three fish I needed to vent.  I was successful with two of them, and they are healthy and healthy today.  The third I did not pull sufficient gas out of the bladder and had to repeat the procedure.  That fish developed an infection at the site of puncture and didn't make it.

Tips: 

• Make sure the fish is well illuminated from below.  I used a glass casserole with a cheap LED puck underneath.  I placed a piece of tape to block the light at the head of the fish because I felt it was too bright for its eyes. 
  • Get the smallest diameter needle you can.  I bought an insulin syringe from Walgreens Rx. 
  • Enlist a second set of hands to hold the fish while you do the venting.  You need to withdraw the gas slowly and this takes a steady hand.
  • Have a QT tank set up in advance to receive the fish.  It's not going to like the procedure very much and needs peace to recover. 
  • Don't skip the sanitizing procedure or iodine. Would not hurt to put the fish through metroplex/kanaplex while in the QT as well.
  • If you have a healthy one, examine it under the light first to see what size you are aiming to get the bladder down to.

I hated having to try it for fear of killing the fish but resolved myself that if I didn't it wasn't going to make it long term anyway.

Hi Sierra,

Would I be able to enlist your help on this? I actually tried to call up the Vet here, but they aren't available until Monday and I fear that will be too late. Everything I've read and seen pretty say if this isn't done the fish is likely done for.

He is in a QT right now (I QT all my fish). I have metro/kanaplex/sulfaplex/neoplex/acraflaven on hand.

I have all the tools to do this except for the needle. I'm having a hard time procuring a 30 gauge needle. Hopefully I can get on at WalGreen.

Please let me know if you can help. I think a second eye on this would be extremely valuable, especially knowing you have had to do this 3 times. The fish is fairly small (around 2"). It's a Yellow Coris Wrasse.

1 hour ago, WantToReef512 said:

Hi Sierra,

Would I be able to enlist your help on this? I actually tried to call up the Vet here, but they aren't available until Monday and I fear that will be too late. Everything I've read and seen pretty say if this isn't done the fish is likely done for.

He is in a QT right now (I QT all my fish). I have metro/kanaplex/sulfaplex/neoplex/acraflaven on hand.

I have all the tools to do this except for the needle. I'm having a hard time procuring a 30 gauge needle. Hopefully I can get on at WalGreen.

Please let me know if you can help. I think a second eye on this would be extremely valuable, especially knowing you have had to do this 3 times. The fish is fairly small (around 2"). It's a Yellow Coris Wrasse.

I'd be happy to help, but I'm in San Antonio and about to leave on a business trip.  I wouldn't be able to get to Austin until 4-20.  I'll PM you my phone number and you are more than welcome to call and ask questions.

Anecdotally i have an anthias that had swim bladder problems (could not right itself and would swim upside down mostly). He was eating and otherwise healthy, it took several weeks but eventually the issue resolved on its own.