Cleaning a Dusty old Tank

Greytook

I'm starting to clean up an old tank that has been sitting open air, in a room, and has collected a lot of dust.  I can vacuum out the majority, but I would like to get suggestions on a cleaning solution to help get it started.  I'm thinking a 30/40 percent vinegar solution...  Use that as a wipe and soak it out over a couple of weeks before adding live rock.

What do you use to clean your bare tanks, that would be reef safe? 

I don't need to clean a bunch of old corraline at this point.

Assuming it's not possible to rinse it out outside with the hose, just a good wiping with water and some vinegar sounds good. I don't think you need to soak it for weeks before getting started.

What Kim said. Hydrogen peroxide could be used also and 20% or 30%can be found online but it will cause burns if you spill it on yourself.   If there's scale or mineral buildup you want to get rid of the vinegar doesn't you might try scrubbing it with baking soda but do not mix the two together.

I think I can hose it down for sure.  My main concern is leaving a harmful residue if I use any solution.  My RO/Di unit is on the way.  From what I've read it's not especially important to clean the tank with RO/DI, but I just want it to be clean and free of any *harmful* chemicals...

-Grey