Sump design

Christyef

Whose going to build your sump? Been thinking about an upgrade myself.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

No idea. But I talked to a couple ppl today and they said a sump like this will be twice or more what another custom sump would be! [emoji27]. e3dac9641573e1902950171ad622aa13.jpg. May jus todo this. 14x21. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Yeah, building a sump that utilizes all the area in a stand like that takes a lot more work measuring, cutting, gluing and installing.  I know you've already looked at "off the shelf" tanks.  Using 2 or 3 smaller tanks connected together with bulkhead fittings would be a more economical setup.  And acrylic sump tanks can be mixed with glass tank this way too.   Bigger bulkheads can be used also (I use 2" sometimes) and bulkheads can be set at the lower levels and short standpipes can be used to set water levels and as round baffles.

• Like 1

I think I may have found a fluval5 and 2.5 gal cube to try to fit together this way. Much better idea than having a custom one built. That’s way more $ than I’d like to spend

I'm sure you're already aware of this but for someone who might be reading this and is unfamiliar with doing this here's some of the nuances of connecting tanks together with bulkhead fittings.  When  bulkhead fittings are installled for plumping the only part that's water proof is the flange side with it's gasket.  The nut side is not water proof as water will work it's way along the threads unless it's gooped up real good with silicone.  A spacer may also be needed if the tanks being connected have frames that will interfere with getting the two side in contact with each other.  A thin piece of acrylic, glass or wood will work and if a glass hole saw is used to drill glass tanks it will also work for cutting wood and acrylic.  If cutting acrylic run a slow steady stream of water on the bit while cutting and it will need to be cleaned frequently  as acrylic dust will build up on the cutting edge.  If disassembly in the future is a concern silicone grease can be used (liberally) instead of silicone adhesive.  It's avaialble in the plumbing section of most home improvement stores and dive shops.

• Like 1

8ede09985c93b203b237e5f3554eb058.jpgThe two tanks held together with a bulkhead and an inverted 90 to keep the water in the refugium section but lower in the return. If I put the skimmer in the return section, I can adjust the water level there so it’s the right height for the skimmer. There would be baffles for bubbles and maybe a filter sock in the beginning