Calcium levels

Bburrage04

Happy Sunday reefers! I have a question about calcium. Tank is a 90 gallon with 40 sump. I did a water change 2 weeks ago and got same calcium levels. Have only done one water change since this of 15 gallons. Haven’t dosed since the check. My question is, is my calcium too high? Is it a problem that it won’t go down? Currently have fish, nems, zoas, hammers, candy canes, mushrooms, acans, seasons greeting coral, jack o lantern lepto, Hollywood stunner chalice, green eyed lepto, merleti blasto, and an orange ricordia Florida. 

temp 78

ph 8.2

nitrate 0

ammonia 0

nitrite 0

phos 0.25

calcium 640

Couple of thoughts:

1) I would test with a different kit before I changed anything.  I know some of the stores will test for you, or maybe a friend has a different kit.  It's like going to get a second opinion when the doctor tells you bad news, before you decide what you're gonna do :)

2) what brand of salt do you use?  Some of them have really high levels to start with (typically not THAT high, but still like 500);  You could have a bad batch of salt too; so it might be useful to test your fresh mixed water too

• Like 1

In addition to Jolt's suggestions I would also be checking alkalinity and magnesium along with pH and calcium.   I don't know how old your system is or your experience level but alkalinity is the test I use most often (I like APIs test kit) and until your systems matures (~10 - 12 months old) and you get a feel for what's happening with those parameters as your corals are growing I would suggest testing at least those four on a weekly basis.