Revamped Low Maintenance System

MichaelR

I want to redo my wife's seahorse tank from the ground up and make it as low maintenance as possible. I would like to here what ideas this community has about what equipment and filtration methods to use.

What I have so far is this... I want the system to be a typical drilled display with sump beneath and a heater/chiller combo to maintain a temperature of about 72°F. The sump needs to have a grow-out chamber for babies. The primary return line will alternate directions via a 1/2" SCWD. My wife also likes a lot of colorful non-aggressive corals.

• Like 1

I kept seahorses for many years a while back. What kind do you have? The set up you described sounds great so far. I'm intrigued by the idea of having a grow out chamber in the sump.

What do you mean by low maintenance? As in less water changes or less equipment to deal with? Can you explain more what you're looking for?

We have H. Erectus. As for the system...both minimal equipment and less water changes. I'm looking to get input on all of the ways people set up their systems and why so that I can better design my wife's system.

For example, methods of improving gas exchange, nutrient removal, water chemistry stabilization (i.e. calcium, pH. etc.).