Redsea Reefer 450 Build / Upgrade

mhart032

time for an update! its getting closer, i worked on the plumbing again tonight rebuilt the manifold and everything worked out pretty good this time. I am missing one 1" elbow and a 1" piece of braded hose to connect the return up also need another 3/4 X 1" swedge for the emergency overflow, i have the fitting and can use the 3/4 if i want to, but would like everything look uniform coming out of the tank to the sump. so its on order. Ill temp use the 3/4 if i decide to start it up this weekend. I still need to mount the Kessil H380, im just thinking of hanging it over the fuge vs a tank mount system, i dont really have room for it. I need to work on running all the cables for everything and map those out and terminate at the controllers. But ugh not sure i want to think about that mess yet. it would mean pulling most everything off the 20gal so that might wait till i start the cycle. Anyway here are pics. 

20190313_223817.jpg

20190313_224506.jpg

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, jolt said:

Looking very nice.  So the cannisters are for carbon, GFO, BioBalls?

The 3rd is for biopellets, but I'm not sire if I'll need it with the fuge size if Incan get macro to grow like I want. 

3 hours ago, mhart032 said:

The 3rd is for biopellets, but I'm not sire if I'll need it with the fuge size if Incan get macro to grow like I want. 

Your mileage may vary but I could never get chaeto to grow when using GFO. They're in direct competition. Once I pulled GFO, the chaeto exploded. This was even while heavily overstocked.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eddius-maximus said:

Your mileage may vary but I could never get chaeto to grow when using GFO. They're in direct competition. Once I pulled GFO, the chaeto exploded. This was even while heavily overstocked.

I have read that it could on some tanks, i was thinking about keeping it in line and if i need to use it i can just turn the valve, was thinking in an emergency type situation. My biggest issue with most the tanks ive had has been high phos and nitrates due to laziness lol. My thoughts were a turn of a valve seems much easier than possible water changes or NOPO X dosing. same with the carbon, if i find i dont need it, great, but when i do i would rather not be fumbling around trying to get a reactor in place to run a product for a solution. id like to be as ultra low maintenance as i can, My thoughts are putting in the time and expense now can save me a ton of time later down the road if i need it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The plumbing is done, and all tested with no leaks of any kind. I'm pretty impressed by the Jaebo return pump it's got tons of flow. Everything is tight and in place with the exception of the biopellet reactor. I'm not sure I will utilize it yet. So I'm leaving that outlet on the manifold open for future use, maybe a uv or possible water change port. Maybe all the above. I bought a pendent mount and hung the kessil h380. I've filled  the tank to roughly 80gals and mixed the salt in the tank brought it up to temp and have a pump running for circulation and I plan to do the sand and rock today or tomorrow, then fill the tank the rest of the way. I still need to work on wiring and routing everything mounting the controllers for the Gyres and the return, Im not going to be super excited with all the power bricks around the tank but what are you going to do it looks like I'll have roughly 6 or 7 with all the equipment. Then I'll deal with the Apex and the modules. I'll have 2 eb832s to mount plus the modules and head unit and the alkatronic and dosers somewhere. I'll post pics late today when I get the sump area all cleaned up. 

• Like 1

Ok, here is a pic of the sump, i added the sand, but corse i have a sand storm to deal with, im running it through some filter socks right now to clear it up for tomorrows aquascaping. I need to fix the cords for the sump light and the kessil, but ill do that later. I used J channel to hide all the wires in the sump area. I still have the probes to run and the dosing lines when i move the apex as well as a second heater for back up. I figure it can wait till after the cycle when i move the the other tank over. im starting this build with Dr Tims products and rock and water from the 20gal. It figures that after i decide to upgrade the 20gal wants to stable out alk hasn't moved in days, the PH moves .02 at night. pretty crazy im going to break it down in a couple weeks now that its stable. 

20190323_153555.jpg

• Like 2

So i have the tank almost filled up, the rock work is done, but still to murky for any pics. I like the rock work, but i omitted the LR in the 20gal, i did have plans to use it, but one thing led to another and im not ready to break that tank down yet, I was going to use LR in my fuge, what are the consensuses  on  seeding the display from the fuge? I want the fuge to be running while i cycle granted we are not taking about a ton of rock maybe use 15lbs coarse i want to add the cheato and run the kessil and ghost feed, add the pod population and phyto, building to hopefully eradicate any possible issues with dinos this time as well as any major algae issues from the start. Thoughts? Still plan to use the Dr Tims ammonia and one and only. 

6 hours ago, KimP said:

I can't imagine it makes any difference seeding from the display, sump, or refugium. The bacteria and all is going to spread everywhere in the system. 

That was kind of my thoughts. 

• Like 1

Rock work is done i think.. the tank is cycling. the pods and macro algae will be there tomorrow so i can seed the fuge. im going to let it run with just the kessil over the fuge and ghost feed the tank for a few weeks before i add the lights and turn them on. here are some pics. 

20190326_165712.jpg

20190326_165648.jpg20190326_165700.jpg20190326_165730.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks all, I'm.pretty happy with it so far. 

1 hour ago, eddius-maximus said:

Oh, heads up with the ATB Skimmer -- optimum water height is 8" and those baffles aren't adjustable. And the water height makes a huge difference with the efficiency of those skimmers. There are adjustable skimmer stands available from BRS that I like to use.

That's good to know, I need to order from brs so I'll pick one up to get it optimal. I want it to be efficient and work properly one I kick it on, the baffles are at 9in so I need an inch. 

I need some help with lights, i have 3 radion g4 pros. but i cant fit the 3rd without modifying to overflow top and frame. i dont really want to do this.. so is 2 radion g4 pros enough light for the tank? semi mixed reef but mostly sps in the long run. I know they make the rail kit.. but eh its pretty ugly makes me think of a rear end of a old Plymouth super bird ;\  

Any thoughts? 

plymouth-superbird-03.jpg

• Haha 1

You're not limited to the OEM tank brackets, are you?  Why not make your own hanger and suspend either from the wall or ceiling?  There are a lot of really nice, professional-looking light suspension ideas out there.

You have a wide shot of the tank and area it will live in?

What is the width of the tank?  For my own tank which is 48"x24" I use three radion G3 pro with the new diffusers mounted like  this.  Two of the G3 did not cut it for me.  It is working well for a mix of acros, acans, chalices, favia.  This is the standard RMS hanging kit from ecotech

IMG_3985.JPG

51 minutes ago, Sierra Bravo said:

You're not limited to the OEM tank brackets, are you?  Why not make your own hanger and suspend either from the wall or ceiling?  There are a lot of really nice, professional-looking light suspension ideas out there.

You have a wide shot of the tank and area it will live in?

I can take one later, but its 14ft ceilings in the downstairs. 

34 minutes ago, jolt said:

What is the width of the tank?  For my own tank which is 48"x24" I use three radion G3 pro with the new diffusers mounted like  this.  Two of the G3 did not cut it for me.  It is working well for a mix of acros, acans, chalices, favia.  This is the standard RMS hanging kit from ecotech

I should have opted for the XR30s they look nice. 

• Like 1