eddius-maximus

The new tank is up!

Amazing. Looks very clean I like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks guys! I am currently experiencing the most intense diatoms bloom (or something! Brownish green dust algae coating everything) I’ve ever seen. I’m guessing it’s the silicates in the new sand. 

Im assuming the best course of action is to do nothing as surely if it’s silicates it’ll burn up and dissipate eventually. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, eddius-maximus said:

Thanks guys! I am currently experiencing the most intense diatoms bloom (or something! Brownish green dust algae coating everything) I’ve ever seen. I’m guessing it’s the silicates in the new sand. 

Im assuming the best course of action is to do nothing as surely if it’s silicates it’ll burn up and dissipate eventually. 

Yep, time is your friend. I like a few cleanup crew members to keep it stirred up (snails and small hermits), but a lot of people don't like them.

• Like 1

New arrivals. 8 Chromis, 1 Hippo Tang, and 1 Yellow Wrasse. 

Chromis. Never again. This is the second time I’ve attempted a school. They’re disappearing one a day just like the last time I tried this. Lesson learned! Three down, 5 left. Freakin Highlander in there.

AAE1977C-C394-4A93-A65A-C37C7457BEA6.jpeg

7A726454-D512-4CFD-AD93-AF44FCB2A821.jpeg

0706D5FA-53C1-4412-BBD0-70B05F844F99.jpeg

• Like 3

I love schools of Chromis, Im looking forward to having a school of my own. nice pick up. 

New ATO from Advanced Acrylics. This is the first time I've purchased anything from them and was blown away by delivery time, price, and quality. It's 30 gallons, currently being used with a Tunze 3155. It would be pretty hilariously awful for some sort of failure to empty 30 gallons of RODI on my floor, so I'm thinking of adding a Neptune FMK as a third layer of protection.

I've also added a Mimic Tang, Mystery Wrasse, and 5 peppermint shrimp. The shrimps are for a growing Aiptasia problem. It was pretty intense watching my wrasses immediately attempt to eat them. They're fairly large peppermints and they held their own! After a couple minutes the wrasses decided my HEB meals were way less of a hassle and moved on with their lives. Awesome.

ato-new.JPG

• Like 3

Did you remove the black vinyl backing on the rear glass? I really like the look of the back glass clear with the overflow section black. 

12 minutes ago, mhart032 said:

Did you remove the black vinyl backing on the rear glass? I really like the look of the back glass clear with the overflow section black. 

Yep! Dig a fingernail under a corner of the vinyl and just start peeling. It required a bit of strength but there was zero sticky residue left afterwards, surprisingly.

It does add one additional step to glass cleaning, getting in the back there. But it's only like an additional 30 seconds or so. Really not too much extra hassle. I was sure to add enough room between tank and wall to be able to lean in and have space.

• Like 2

Gorgeous tank, wow! I really like the clear back also.

• Like 1

im for sure going to have the steal this idea, i cant get over how nice it looks its seems to give so much more space to the look of the tank. of course the aquascaping does help with that. Nice job. 

• Like 2

I officially stole it! thank goodness i don't have a tank that big lol. It wasn't hard to get off, but its stuck on there for sure. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, diesel3443 said:

I love how clean this looks. How are you liking the Orpheks?

So many variables in a tank that make me second guess, but Orphek isn't one of them! I love these lights. Tons of uniform PAR. The light quality looks incredible in person.

• Like 1

Wow!  Things are looking really good :)