The new tank is up!

eddius-maximus

Thanks guys! I am currently experiencing the most intense diatoms bloom (or something! Brownish green dust algae coating everything) I’ve ever seen. I’m guessing it’s the silicates in the new sand. 

Im assuming the best course of action is to do nothing as surely if it’s silicates it’ll burn up and dissipate eventually. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, eddius-maximus said:

Thanks guys! I am currently experiencing the most intense diatoms bloom (or something! Brownish green dust algae coating everything) I’ve ever seen. I’m guessing it’s the silicates in the new sand. 

Im assuming the best course of action is to do nothing as surely if it’s silicates it’ll burn up and dissipate eventually. 

Yep, time is your friend. I like a few cleanup crew members to keep it stirred up (snails and small hermits), but a lot of people don't like them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New ATO from Advanced Acrylics. This is the first time I've purchased anything from them and was blown away by delivery time, price, and quality. It's 30 gallons, currently being used with a Tunze 3155. It would be pretty hilariously awful for some sort of failure to empty 30 gallons of RODI on my floor, so I'm thinking of adding a Neptune FMK as a third layer of protection.

I've also added a Mimic Tang, Mystery Wrasse, and 5 peppermint shrimp. The shrimps are for a growing Aiptasia problem. It was pretty intense watching my wrasses immediately attempt to eat them. They're fairly large peppermints and they held their own! After a couple minutes the wrasses decided my HEB meals were way less of a hassle and moved on with their lives. Awesome.

ato-new.JPG

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, mhart032 said:

Did you remove the black vinyl backing on the rear glass? I really like the look of the back glass clear with the overflow section black. 

Yep! Dig a fingernail under a corner of the vinyl and just start peeling. It required a bit of strength but there was zero sticky residue left afterwards, surprisingly.

It does add one additional step to glass cleaning, getting in the back there. But it's only like an additional 30 seconds or so. Really not too much extra hassle. I was sure to add enough room between tank and wall to be able to lean in and have space.

• Like 2