How often do you clean your return pump?

Christyef

Tank husbandry is very important. Some of it is a big pain in the rear! Besides water changes (excluding Ty and Jennifer if she wants to pretend [emoji6]), how often do you do the real cleaning? Return pumps, reactor pumps, ATS pumps, Light fans, sump bottoms, etc. Set schedule or wait for build-up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I try to clean all powerheads monthly.  Other pumps it's more like annually, or if there is a noise

I’m curious why not the other pumps more often? I know powerheads gunk up, but wouldn’t the same be true for all the other moving parts throughout the system?

I clean mine every day. hahhaha not

Mp60's - I change the foam screen every 2 weeks and rub off the hair algae stuck to the cage.

Intake screens in overflow box - Same as above

My reactors run off the main return pump and that chamber is very clean. I run socks and do not have fuge in sump. So unless it makes noise or I see a drop in in my overflow height I dont clean it.

Light fans - When I see dust like lint on them I get out the mini vac.

I would guess Im a wait for build up person.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Christyef said:

I’m curious why not the other pumps more often? I know powerheads gunk up, but wouldn’t the same be true for all the other moving parts throughout the system?

Since I have a hammerhead/ cuda and  a dart/snapper, I dont want to mess with the seal. If it does not leak, dont touch it

If I had something like a MJ1200, with the floating impellers, I would clean them a lot.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Christyef said:

. . .how often do you do the real cleaning? Return pumps, reactor pumps, ATS pumps, Light fans, sump bottoms, etc. . . .

Return Pumps - When I see they're not running

Reactor pumps - Don't use them

ATS pumps - When I see they aren't working

Light fans - When I see they're dirty, varies by quite a bit on different fixtures, systems.

Sump bottoms - every decade or so.

• Like 1

Mainly I’m just lazy [emoji33]

Of all the words I could think to describe you, "lazy" would have never entered my mind! If you set the bar for lazy then I can't imagine what I would be [emoji23]

I'm a wait for build up kind of person for lights, cleaning the glass, salt creep, etc, but there would have to be a noise to make me take the time to clean a return pump. I bet mine haven't been touched in 4+years [emoji21] Taking the time for that kind of maintenance is part of the reason I don't have a cup in my skimmer and I don't use filter socks. I would like to be more proactive about cleaning the lights though. They're expensive and the salt build up can really kill the par. (We're seriously not cleaning the bottom of our sump now, right?)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

When the calcium reactor media needs to be refilled then I pull it, the skimmer and the circulation pump; about every six months. Once a year, usually in January, I pull the return pump. I clean the mixing barrels and the ATO reservoir when I notice they're starting to get slick on the inside.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk