Precipitation

Christyef

Because they are already in relatively stable concentrations in salt. When we dose, the area that is dosed is saturated with more than the water can dissolve normally in a short time. When both get dosed at causes them to more or less combine and form into a solid which cannot dissolve readily. 

My understanding is that the  precipitation happens because of the ph difference between the highly concentrated dosing solution and your aquarium water.    The dosing solution is much higher ph than your aquarium water.  Mixing salt probably does not have this happen because things are at pretty much the normal concentrations and PH is probably neutral in rodi water.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-07/rhf/index.php#4

RHF always comes through to show you how complicated you thought a simple thing was.

I googled RHF to avoid asking a dumb question and got retirement housing fund and rhf bourbon.... doubt that either of these is what you meant, so what is RHF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, one more question. I’ve seen mixed opinions on how long, or if it even matters, leaving the salt mixing before adding it to the tank in a water change. If it loses potency the longer it mixes, wouldn’t that mean it depletes faster in the tank bc of the coral absorption PLUS being just “mixed around”. If nothing is removing the elements from the water, then the ca/alk/mag, etc shouldn’t change no matter how long it’s sitting there swirling around in out mixing station tubs.

Randy Holmes-Farley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ah! The link Jolt shared. Ive never seen those. Thank you for the insight. Never heard of him. I bet I could find the answer to my last (and all) my questions in his writing.

15 hours ago, Christyef said:

Ok, one more question. I’ve seen mixed opinions on how long, or if it even matters, leaving the salt mixing before adding it to the tank in a water change. If it loses potency the longer it mixes, wouldn’t that mean it depletes faster in the tank bc of the coral absorption PLUS being just “mixed around”. If nothing is removing the elements from the water, then the ca/alk/mag, etc shouldn’t change no matter how long it’s sitting there swirling around in out mixing station tubs.

Its my understanding that  Co2 in the air will mix with the water. This will alter the  Ph and Alk of your mixed salt water.

19 hours ago, Christyef said:

For some of the mixes, red sea coral pro comes to mind, they really oversaturate some of the parameters (e.g., alk) so that people have to dose less maybe? In that case, if there is more alk than can sustainable stay dissolved at whatever conditions they are mixed at (temperature/pH mostly), some of the alk or caco3 or whatever is supersaturated will precipitate out as scale. 

If that's what you mean by potency I can see that, but I would be careful basing decisions on things that cant be measured or defined. 

• mFrame changed the title to Precipitation