Jump to content
Dogfish

Dendro and Sun coral

Recommended Posts

I have never had any and am looking for yellow. These seems a good fit as I ilke movement in the tank. Has any one had success or failure with either type? I have 2 spots that are 1/2 way down in my tank and somewhat shaded at the end of my valley. It gets pretty good random flow from 1 sea swirl , but nothing excessive. Oh and a place to buy them or get them for free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Success with dendros but never with sun coral. Never heard of anyone having success long term without considerable work, including pulling the coral out almost daily into a feeding bowl or constructing some sort of dome to go over it and inject food into. It's so hard long term to get it to consistently open up to eat. Dendros are easy though, but will need to be fed. I have an auto feeder sitting above mine in such a way that with the flow, it sends food right at the polyps. It's still not enough though, I know they appreciate when I broadcast feed frozen, and especially small stuff like cyclopeeze. Dendros seem to always run about $25/head.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Troypt has a large colony of Yellow he has had success with by simply using a Turkey Baster to spot feed them daily when he feeds his fish.  I believe he feeds them and the fish gets what floats off, this ensures they eat directly.  He got his from AquaTek about 18 months ago or so.  It has at least quadrupled in size if not more.

you cut contact him to see if he wants to break his up and what exactly he does to keep his.  I know for a fact he doesn't tent or remove it from his tank and just spot feeds it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, KimP said:

Success with dendros but never with sun coral. Never heard of anyone having success long term without considerable work, including pulling the coral out almost daily into a feeding bowl or constructing some sort of dome to go over it and inject food into. It's so hard long term to get it to consistently open up to eat. Dendros are easy though, but will need to be fed. I have an auto feeder sitting above mine in such a way that with the flow, it sends food right at the polyps. It's still not enough though, I know they appreciate when I broadcast feed frozen, and especially small stuff like cyclopeeze. Dendros seem to always run about $25/head.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
 

Thanks Good to know. Since i feed live foods 2x a day i think I can feed enough to keep Dendro's happy. Not sure about the Suns

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Woods said:

Troypt has a large colony of Yellow he has had success with by simply using a Turkey Baster to spot feed them daily when he feeds his fish.  I believe he feeds them and the fish gets what floats off, this ensures they eat directly.  He got his from AquaTek about 18 months ago or so.  It has at least quadrupled in size if not more.

you cut contact him to see if he wants to break his up and what exactly he does to keep his.  I know for a fact he doesn't tent or remove it from his tank and just spot feeds it.

Thanks. Do you know if they are Dendro? or Sun?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yellows are always Sun Coral.   I haven't ever seen Yellow Dendros.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Woods said:

Yellows are always Sun Coral.   I haven't ever seen Yellow Dendros.

I see a place called Aquarium Depot has some that are orange with yellow tentacles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those are typical Dendros,.  They will have yellow/orange tentacles with an orange core.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yellow Sun Coral is yellow thru and thru

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have two tubastrea (sun corals) in my bio cube: yellow and black/green. The yellow really are nocturnal, they are always open after lights out and before lights on. They take about 15 minutes to open up once they sense food, so I can only target feed them if i feed after midnight, or if i spend 30 minutes hand feeding the tank in the early evening. Because they don't fit my feeding habits I've had a hard time keeping them healthy. Typical feeding is to blow around food in the tank for 15 minutes with the return off. The blacks are better at catching food this way, and seem to be doing better now than the yellows. My nems and fish usually finish the food in 15 minutes before the yellows open up. I try to target feed them when I can after midnight.

They are hard to photograph because they are rarely out when the lights are on.

 

Yellow added January 2018:

_MG_9294.JPG

March 2018 - added black and green (feeding tentacles not out yet, it took a few days for the green to open up) 

IMG_5934.JPG

 

May 2018 - Black and yellow (starting to "wake up" from feeding response) flesh starting to recede. 

IMG_6813.JPG

August 2018

IMG_8308.JPG

October 2018

 

_MG_1939.JPG

December 2018

_MG_2274.JPG

_MG_2282.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have dendros (I think...) and I certainly don't feed them everyday.  I've actually cut back direct feeding quite a bit as my nutrient levels were out of control and had way too much algae.  Mine haven't grown at all, but I also have some weird external issue going on - tough to see in this pic, but it's the darkness at the base of the coral.  Seems like some parasite/algae that won't brush off and is attacking the exoskeletal part of the organism, but whatever harm it's doing, it's doing very slowly.

corals:

GRlhuJr.jpg

 

Here's my thread asking about the issue: http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/39777-help-w-dendro-issue-please/

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hum.......That was in May and they are still alive and kickin. I did get 1 coral from you about a year ago (frogspawn). My urchin snapped off 2 of the maybe 30 now heads. My peppermints seem to like 8 certain heads and they stay pretty tight. The snapped off (frags)  are growing  back in. So with the fungus or what ever it is, might be in  my tank now. Looks like you have them in pretty good flow?  I dont recall your light?

Thanks for the response.

 

Frogie-1-2019.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That froggy looking pretty good and sounds like it's growing a bit!

 

I am *pretty sure* that fungus is local to the dendro only.  Haven't seen any sign of it on any other euphylia.  They aren't in direct flow, but just shaded a bit from the nearest powerhead.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×