Mollies

Christyef

Double post: Has anyone ever tried to/had success/failed turning FW mollies into SW? I’d like to try this to have live food for my Fu Manchu bc he never did take to frozen. I’ve put him in the DT because he was beginning to decline in the 20 gal. I have plenty of fish to keep the molly population from exploding, but would like to hear of any experiences good or bad that anyone may have had with this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, mFrame said:

Oh my goodness! That seems like a lifetime ago.

Brackish fish are unpredictable in a full salt environment. They don't swim around or through the rocks like reef fish and instead swim in the top 10% of the tank. Scats and puffers will eat almost every type of coral. Mollies don't understand the reef environment and swim right into anemones or pick at random things. They often look at other fish and invertebrates like they have no idea what they are. Their behavior looks very unnatural against the backdrop, like a supermodel at a barbeque buffet.

DSC01685.JPG

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

e7421c8789e5304d1b2a2f2a1c36bf1c.jpgit won’t allow me to open it. And Sasha, you’re right. One did almost swim into a nem. And they are at the top of the tank. So far the Fu Manchu has shown zero interest. In anything. He’s facing a corner like he’s in time out. Not sure what else to do. I sure hope he comes around. I did read they’re tricky to keep captive, but someone already had him so I took him to try. Hope for the best. As long as this doesn’t back fire and I end up with 900 mollies, the babies will be food for the tank. Poor things. I’ll update as more happens. Dana, I’m going to try to find the post you mentioned

The link doesn't open in Tapatalk, but works on the computer.

Fu Manchu Lions primarily feed on inverts. They're also ambush predators and don't covert well to dead silversides. I believe your best bet is to stock the tank with saltwater feeder shrimp until the lion is established. I had one in a 55g FOWLR up until I joined the military in 2007 and I was never able to covert it to silvers. They're surprisingly shy and mostly hung out in the backside or underside of caves and ledges of the aquascape.

Both of my fish books list this species as the most difficult lion to maintain. Michael W. Scott further writes that most specimens ignore healthy fish and often refuse to eat in captivity.

The link doesn't open in Tapatalk, but works on the computer.

Fu Manchu Lions primarily feed on inverts. They're also ambush predators and don't covert well to dead silversides. I believe your best bet is to stock the tank with saltwater feeder shrimp until the lion is established. I had one in a 55g FOWLR up until I joined the military in 2007 and I was never able to covert it to silvers. They're surprisingly shy and mostly hung out in the backside or underside of caves and ledges of the aquascape.

Both of my fish books list this species as the most difficult lion to maintain. Michael W. Scott further writes that most specimens ignore healthy fish and often refuse to eat in captivity.

He was eating the ghost shrimp the first few days in the biocube. I kept him alone to try to teach frozen. I felt like he was declining bc he stopped eating the shrimp and even rejected mosquito fish. I made the decision to add him to the DT thinking being in a Reef setting may perk him up. I personify my animals. [emoji16]. I will try to put in a lot of ghost shrimp and see if he’s interested before they’re all eaten by my other fish. If the mollies prove to be a flop, at least they should be easy enough to catch since they stay towards the top of the tank