Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Wade

friends tank has disease of some sort. 4 fish died overnight

Recommended Posts

Please take a look at the picture below and see if you can identify what's going on here.  This is one of two fish left as the other have died overnight.  He says that he added some crabs and one small fish about 4 weeks ago and everything has been cool until yesterday.  He didn't QT the fish, but the LFS has a reputation of quality fish and no issues with disease.  I've been looking at disease charts and pictures and haven't been able to identify what's going on.  Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated as always.  Thanks all!

IMG_0561.JPEG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Velvet would be my suspicion if it went from OK to dead that quick.

Always QT!

As far as I know none of the LFS have any real quarantine procedures, and they all order from the same wholesalers, so no matter who you are buying from there is always chances for stuff to slip through. Yes, some of them may keep their tanks cleaner and therefore have happier/healthier acting fish, but underlying disease is always a possibility.

Hopefully those two pull through if they aren't already dead. Small 10-20gal tank with a bubbler and a heater is all you really need to QT and keep everyone healthy. I made the mistake of setting up my QT as a 30gal, thinking more water volume is better...... not when you're dosing medicines by water volume.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks man.  Clown perished.  He picked up some blanket remedies and saved the dead clown for the one guy in our group that has a microscope so hopefully we'll get to the truth of it.  And I couldn't agree more about a QT.  It's just not worth the consequences that you'll eventually pay.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To add to o0zarkawater's points, diseases and parasites can be passed by contaminated water, rocks, sand and equipment that's not rinsed well or cleaned with fresh water and also can be transmitted with corals that aren't dipped. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×