Tiny Fern-like leaves Growing From LR

Dominican

+1 looks like Feather Caulerpa to me. You can read about them at Marine Plant Book. I used that site a lot when I was doing lagoons and the information is accurate, as far as I can tell. IMHO you need to control it now because it's very invasive. 

Caulerpa Mexicana

Caulerpa Sertulariodes

Caulerpa Taxifolia

• Like 1

Caulerpa reproduces by going sexual and releasing spores. The spores then attach themselves to surfaces and can live for a long time without germinating. You could remove the rock, but that doesn't mean there aren't more spores on other rocks or within the tank. Caulerpa is also known to grow in the silicone seams and on or around equipment. The same property makes fighting Valonia very difficult and people often have to nuke their live rock to get rid of the plague. 

If it were me, then I would start with manual removal. This type of macroalgae attaches to the LR using a root structure and you can scrape it off easily. Try to get all of the roots if you can. It's easily controlled as long as you don't let it go sexual. 

Ugh.. that's pretty disconcerting.

It's interesting. They turned white overnight. Hoping they've died. There were some changes in conditions in that area associated with a fish cage I'd put in the tank for a couple of weeks to isolate an aggressive tang. But I just removed it the day before they turned white. That's a complete stretch, so not getting my hopes up in any way.

Not seeing them anywhere else in the tank so I'm still planning to replace the piece of LR if possible. Can't mess with it until Friday though. Might physically pull the bits I see tonight though.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Got them out. I was sooo dreading the disruption to the tank, the nutrients released by the sand bed, the broken SPS.. This small rock lifted right out [emoji106][emoji41]

Now to see if they pop up anywhere else [emoji15]e6a8d1066ba8c9f74ad290ae18800161.jpg

Right?! They're cute. It's too bad they're a scourge. They actually gave me a nightmare last night haha. I absolutely could not believe my luck that this was such a small piece of LR. Not counting my blessings just yet!

• Like 1