How long to keep aggressive tang in time-out?

Dominican

A couple weeks is probably good.  You should be prepared to rehome one of them though.  And even if they do get along initially as they mature it's possible to have problems when they mature which may be several years in the future.

If they've already been together that long I would be surprised if you have any problems.  They mature around the 5 year mark and when an aquarist gets a group all the same age that's when problems can arise if crowding hasn't been an issue already.

I picked up a gold rim tang and powder blue in a tank shutdown I bought 2+ months back. I thought they were in the same system at his place, but quickly found out they weren't once they went in my DT and the Goldrim would not stop harassing the Powder blue. Powder was easiest to catch so he's been in an acclimating box since, and the Goldrim is constantly up on the acrylic box messing with PB at 2 months. I'd rather keep the PB because he's healthy and been in tanks for over a year, but the Goldrim is impossible to catch. First fish I've ever had that hides completely behind rockwork as soon as I bring out a net. Pretty sure if I can remember to get  4" round mirror to put in my trap I could get him in minutes, but I never remember when I'm out of the house to look. Maybe I should Amazon it, I've honestly just been lazy hoping that gold rim would eventually settle down as they are both beautiful healthy fish.

@Timfish: The PT was in there with a very old YT that died a couple of weeks ago. It lasted almost 10yrs. Now there's a new YT. I'll report back when I cut the PT loose in a week or so.

@o0zqrkwater: I've never had a fish be indefinitely aggressive, so hoping this does the trick. If not, good idea, I'll use a mirror for a distraction if necessary, otherwise I'll just catch the PT again and try for longer. This aggression was intense. The YT would've lasted a few days at best. Hope your goldrim gets over it, but it's hard not to be pessimistic after 2 months.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Came home yesterday and the acrylic acclimation box had come loose (suction cups) from the side of the tank and fallen open and PB was free to be harassed. The GR was doing like he did before and just bothering the crap out of PB.

Wife and I spent about an hour chasing GR around the tank trying to get him caught, I was going to throw him into the box instead of PB. My tank is 30" front to back and 25" tall with an 18" center brace all on a 42" stand, so it's really hard to maneuver nets back and forth. The PB would have been much easier to catch, as he was just chilling near the top since he isn't used to the freedom yet.  Took a few breaks and would just watch everyone until the GR would come out and start harassing, then we would go back to trying to get him.

Gave up and tossed in the fish trap with a mirror to see if since GR was being so aggressive if he would see himself and go right in. Sat there watching the tank for about an hour with him showing no interest in the trap and noticed something really cool......

Even though the GR has been in the tank with my other tangs - XLG Sailfin, Adult Chevron, Lg Yellow, for 2 months now with them showing no aggression, they were all very aggressive towards the GR any time he went near the PB like they were protecting him. Even the coral beauty and harelquin seemed to show a little anger at him for all the fuss he was causing. After a while of that he kind of gave up and stayed away from everyone, lights were going out so I figure we would see what happens overnight.

This morning PB is still fine, and GR was just occasionally going over near him but not actually acting mean like he had been in the past.

Maybe it worked? Maybe he got the message that every time he was aggressive we chased his a$$ around for 15 minutes and pissed everyone else off at him?

We'll see tonight!

(Not trying to threadjack, just relaying similar problem/thing going on)

• Like 2

Yup, that didn't work out too well.

Came home from work and GR was messing with PB and clearly had all day. Pretty beat up. Back in the acclimation box for PB. Going to work on really trying to get out the GR even if it means hook + line.

While I think they are both beautiful fish, I've tried PB several times and never had one make it more than a couple months (even after full QT, eating fine). This one is (was) quite healthy and I think will be good long term. In the future I may try to add other Acanthurus (Achilles), and know that the GR won't allow it. So as long as I can catch him, he will go! Otherwise once PB gets back into shape, he'll be up for grabs.

Sorry to hear it didn't work, and good luck catching the Goldrim. I made an acrylic trap that i fill with food. It has a sliding glass door that is held open with a pin attached to a string, and when the right fish is in the box I pull the pin. It can take while for everyone to figure out which end to enter the box from, but then it's gravy after that.

The PT is still in time-out until Wednesday. Seems to have chilled out though. Not much aggression when the YT swims nearby. We'll see!

Cut the PT loose day before yesterday. Thetables were turned. The YT got after the PT for a bit, they went back and forth for about 24hrs, and now everyone's fine. It worked. [emoji846][emoji846][emoji846]

• Like 2