List yours: Smallest break::Biggest PITA

BobcatReefer

What's the littlest or cheapest break/failure that has caused the biggest pain in your ares or most expensive fix?

Friday afternoon, I caught a glimpse of some standing water on the backside of my tank.  Found a tiny leak coming from my HOB.  After uncoupling the box from the plumbing, the bulkhead leaving the bottom of the box was broken - my guess is from me wiggling the standpipe back and forth to get it out every now and then.

This is probably a $3 part, if I can find one (have an email in to Eshopps, so hopefully I hear back on Monday morning).  If not, it's an $80 replacement, plus another $20+ in plumbing.  And more like $150 total if I upgraded to what I really should have on there and plumbed it up correctly.

But the price really isn't the biggest pita:  The other overflow can't handle the flow on it's own, even w/ my return pump cranked down as far as possible.  That means I have to manually go over to the tank and plug in my return to get display>sump flow going, watch/wait for the water to come up to the display rim, and then unplug the return.  Rinse/repeat.  

There have to be some that will beat that, and misery loves company, so please trump my broken $3 part!

• Like 1

A few years ago I began to see a decline in the aquarium and increased water changes to correct the problem. I checked the TDS meter on my RODI unit and it read 0 ppm, so I thought it was safe. I lost 99% of my livestock over 6-8 months and in the end found out that the TDS meter was somehow stuck on 0 or not working. The few corals that survived had to be chopped down to frags again. A $5.99 part cost me nearly all of my livestock and three years of growth. Complacency can cost a lot...

• Sad 1

Not a failure of equipment but of brain power. This one is besides the many ones of  leaving something on that overflows and floods the floor. I spent a good part of an hour trying to figure out why a new EB8 would not show up on my Apex. Come to find out, Apex pre labels the outlets with names. It was there the whole time, I just didnt notice.

1 hour ago, ckyuv said:

I put a cheap plastic splitter on the water hookup behind the washer to T my ro/di to the faucet. The thing broke off one day while I was at work and led to a $19k remodel of the flooded downstairs 

holy mackerel!!!!  So sorry to hear that!

On 9/15/2018 at 3:13 PM, Christyef said:
On 9/15/2018 at 2:02 PM, ckyuv said:

I put a cheap plastic splitter on the water hookup behind the washer to T my ro/di to the faucet. The thing broke off one day while I was at work and led to a $19k remodel of the flooded downstairs 

This happen to me, it was alum and after a while couldn't handle the pressure, water was running out the front door. good thing i had tile in the entire downstairs. wow it was bad. i blamed it on  the toilet fill line  insurance took care of it, but not really much damage believe it or not.