SPS tank owners. What's your alkalinity?

eddius-maximus

I've been keeping my dKh between 8.0 and 8.2 for as long as my tank has been alive. Then BRS releases this video yesterday on substantially increased coral growth after maintaining 12 dKh. I'm intrigued enough to hear from you guys on running a tank with alk that high. I've always heard that higher alk can increase coral growth (as long as your tank isn't ULNS) but this is the first time I've seen definitive results.

Would love to hear y'alls thoughts!

2h0inr.jpg

• Like 1

I think all of the BRS experiments are pseudo science on which I wouldn't base any decision, esp. to bump alkalinity to 25 (or to 12). Given two controls and two treatments (classic Hurlbert's pseudoreplication) the best you can do is make a line ; it says nothing about variation (and the way they presented the data was surprising to be nice; compare control 1 to treatment 1? smh). I appreciate that BRS is trying to break ground and perform tests on some interesting reefing questions but they don't have the capacity to draw conclusions, maybe some valuable insight, that's it. Further, if you are testing coral growth you want to make sure all the corals are growing; they had some corals that lost weight so what does that say when you compare control vs. treatment? I admit that once I understood what they were doing I ran off to clean the glass on my tank. Regardless, I'm still a fan of BRS the store and enjoy watching BRSTV but just for insight and inspiration.

I shoot for 7-8 dKH.

• Like 1

My tank has been evolving to include more LPS, but is still 80% dominated by SPS with no softies, anemonies or clams. I had previously kept my Alk at 9 - 10 dKH for two years and now keep my range between 125 - 150 ppm or 7 - 8.4 dKH. There is a significant difference in coral health and color between those two time periods, but I also run a different type of aquarium that I believe contributed to the decline. I don't know about anyone else, but I've noticed an increase in film algae growth in times where my Alk has dropped below 7 dKH. It could be unrelated, but worth mentioning as a side note. 

I have always kept my 20 nano at a constant 8.2. In under a years time I have had superior growth and some propagation. But I have been using Reef Roids as well.
Going well into almost my third year with the nano I have had more natural propagation than the tank can handle and moving things over into my larger younger tank. I have been quite happy staying at 8.2 personally.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk