fuge reverse flow plenum will it work

Dogfish

I have an idea for my new fuge (20 gallon tall). Im thinking of piping the water that enters the fuge, under the substrate. Underwater spray bar of sorts. This should force the debris from the macro, out from under the substrate rather than settling underneath and creating the zone of crud. Not that there is anything wrong with the zone of crud as a low oxygen de nitrate zone, but I dont see the need at this time. The water will then flow over a partition and exit the fuge. I need some input on why this will work or why not and any ideas. I read some stuff about plenums. There is tons. I did use undergravel filters when I had fresh water tanks. That forced air underneath and sucked water out.
I'm old and don't have that much time to get educated to the fullest on using one with a salt water tank. I plan on having macro, pods and other things growing in it. Would a base (undergravel filter), egg create on pvc or something like that, rock rubble then some calcium media on top of that be ok. Force the water under and it should push up. I think sand is too fine and will create a messy cloud if disturbed.
For the future I was planing on building an ATS that will sit on top of the fuge as an way to convert waste to food.
Im sure I forgot something but company has arrived so i must put on "the host with the most" hat
Cheers

This is posted on RC and R2R

It'll work fine.  Back in the 90's a company sold an "all in one" system with a surface skimmer and a pump feeding a reverse undergravel filter.  A professor with a university in New York did some testing with it and a 30 gallon system was able to process the equivelent of over a pound of food a day.

On 8/6/2018 at 8:19 PM, Timfish said:

It'll work fine.  Back in the 90's a company sold an "all in one" system with a surface skimmer and a pump feeding a reverse undergravel filter.  A professor with a university in New York did some testing with it and a 30 gallon system was able to process the equivelent of over a pound of food a day.

Here is the set up with some macro algae. Im flowing about 600-800 gph thru the under gravel filter. I also came up with an idea for "twin pod towers". I can move one into the tank for cleaning by the fish while the other gets re-populated in the fuge.

Twin_pod_towers11.jpg

Macro1.jpg

Fuge_2.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Remember that nice clean fuge.....Well its now covered with a mat of 1" thick ulva with some hair mixed in. Lot of green slime and other stuff growing on the glass.

The red macros have been moved to the DT. Here is a picture of one of the beds. Fish picking at pods or eating the stuff.

FullFuge1.jpg

Macro1.jpg