Angelfish Disease?

Reefpuck

On 7/14/2018 at 3:59 PM, Sascha D. said:

My fish health book says that dark coloration in the skin or eyes and protruding eyes are symptoms of deficiency in Vitamin B and Vitamin C. Protruding eyes are normally associated with large angels like Regal, Majestic, and Blueface. Has it always had eyes like that? If not, then Pop Eye is worth researching as well. 

Hmm...well I fell I feed them pretty well. Have 4 variations of frozen foods and new life/ocean nutrition pellets. I've ordered some garlic/vitamin supplements to see if that'll help. I'm just worried it will spread to the other fish.

Here is a pic of the angel when I got him put in the main tank (after QT).

adsfasdadf.PNG

It looks to me like the beginnings of Head and Lateral Line Erosion Syndrome or HLLE.   Are you using GAC?  Nutrition issues have always been considered one of the causitive agents but dust from Granulated Activated Carbon, GAC, has been shown to be a factor.  I use GAC without issues but I use a good quality brand and besides rinsing it well I back it with fine filter pads and make sure it can't tumple, I won't use it in a reactor where it might be able to move around and form small particles.

• Like 2

Agree with Tim. Hlle could also be from poor water quality.  How long has he been in the main tank.  Could have started hlle in Qt with bad water quality and just started showing in the display.

• Like 1

I use activated carbon in a reactor but very little (1/4) cup. I always rinse with ro before adding and its pretty well packed in there. Change it once a month. I can stop if you think that'd be a good idea. 

I also do 20g bi-weekly water changes. Dose nitrates/phosphate to maintain small readings for my corals. 

My main concern is if it is HLLE... can other fish get it from the angel? I have a yellow tang that concerns me the most.